This wild greens with eggs dish is very much a traditional standby in Greece. Forget the moussaka, the souflaki and the cheese pies, this is what local people eat in the villages and the mountains. Wild greens from the mountains and eggs from their own chickens that peck about on the sun baked earth. In Greece wild greens like dandelion leaves, rocket etc are a staple of Spring and early summer and this wild greens with eggs recipe is the perfect way to use them when the greens are at their best.
At home in Scotland I make this using dandelion leaves, chickweed, rocket leaves and those spring greens you get in bags in the supermarket. It is entirely up to you what sort of greens you use. This is a very simple dish with just a few ingredients but it really does have wonderful flavour and is perfect as a little mezze starter, as a super healthy breakfast, brunch or lunch or as a side dish to almost any meal.
I love having this just as it is for lunch with some fresh crusty bread on the side.
GREEK WILD GREENS WITH EGGS
- 2 large handfulls of spring greens dandelion leaves, rocket etc
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 spring onion chopped
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil for cooking
- Steam the greens for about 5 minutes until tender
- Heat the oil in a pan and saute the garlic for 2 minutes
- Add the spring onions and steamed greens and saute for 2 minutes
- Beat the eggs and pour into the pan adding the dill and seasoning
- Stir for 5 minutes
- Serve straight from the pan