What can you do to a classic peach melba to make it even better? make it a deconstructed sugar-free peach melba of course!
What’s to love about this dessert?
- This deconstructed peach melba is super easy to make#
- It’s delicious and healthy too.
- Everyone loves a hnad-on dessert at the table, it’s all about sharing and fun!
- This is a healthy dessert, swapping out the usual ice-cream for Greek yogurt.
A deconstructed peach melba is so much more fun and grown-up than the usual peach half and a dollop of ice-cream that so many restaurants think does the job. My version is healthy, sugar-free and just jolly damn tasty, the perfect end to a super supper.
What is a peach melba?
Peach Melba is a dessert of peaches and raspberry sauce with vanilla ice cream. It was invented in 1892 or 1893 by the French chef Auguste Escoffier at the Savoy Hotel, London, to honour the Australian soprano Nellie Melba.
Ingredients for this sugar-free peach melba
There are 2 peaches, some raspberries, squeeze lemon juice, chopped fresh basil, plain yogurt, vanilla extract, a pinch of dried chilli and a little coconut oil.
Just look at all that healthy goodness and not a touch of sugar in sight, result!
Can you use frozen raspberries?
Yes you can use frozen raspberries for the raspberry sauce but they aren’t quite so nice for scattering around with the peaches as they don’t hold their shape well after being frozen.
Make your own yogurt!
Check out these posts on How to make your own yogurt (+video) and how to make Greek style yogurt too.
How to make a deconstructed peach melba
This little recipe is more of construction job though you are deconstructing the finished product if you see what I mean.
The only cooking however is that you are expected to approach the cooker for just a few minutes to grill the peaches and warm up your raspberries to create the sauce.
How many does this recipe serve?
This will serve two people as a light dessert and is a fun (and possibly even romantic) way to finish off your meal.
Looking for more deliciously fruity desserts? Then check these out before you go;
Roasted figs with honey and orange
Baked apricots with mint and honey
Baked figs with feta and walnuts
Warm fruit salad with golden yogurt sauce
Homemade sweet cheese with rhubarb and raspberries
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Deconstructed sugar-free healthy peach melba
- 2 peaches
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of dried chilli flakes
- coconut oil
- Cut the peaches in half and discard the stones
- Brush peach halves with melted coconut oil
- Heat on a griddle pan or grill cut side down first for 2-3 minutes then turn over and cook for another 2 minutes
- Heat the raspberries in a small pan with lemon juice and basil for 4 minutes
- Remove from heat and press through a sieve to create yur sauce
- Mix the vanilla extract with the yogurt in a small bowl
- Serve the peach halves on a platter with bowl of yogurt and small jsar of raspberry sauce. Sprinkle some extra basil on the peaches.
[…] Deconstructed Peach Melba […]