Read on for my recipe for Flummery
Flummery (what a wonderful word) is an ancient recipe that has featured in Scottish feasts dating right back to the 15th century. It is an easy recipe but you will have to soak the oatmeal for 48 hours prior to making the dish so plan ahead when you want to add this wee touch of Scottish magic to your dinner table.
This recipe for Flummery will make 6 small servings. As it is a rich dessert make your servings on the small side. I like to serve mine in these small upright glasses with tiny coffee spoons.
What’s in flummery?
Don’t even think about the calories in this little dish, what with double cream, whipping cream, sugar and honey, oh, and a wee dash of whisky too! You just have to think of it as a wee Scottish treat perfect for a supper party.
Here’s how to make it
You soak the oatmeal in cold water for 48 hours and then strain it reserving the liquid and discarding the oatmeal itself. It is the oaty flavoured water you want for making this dessert. You then mix this with the orange juice and sugar and bring to the boil stirring for about 15 minutes until it is very thick.
Remove from heat and allow to cool before stirring in the double cream then pour into 6 little glasses and chill for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
Mix the whisky with the honey and add a teaspoonful to each glass.
Whip the cream and add this on top finishing off with a sprinkling of grated zest from the orange.
This recipe was taken from my book A Wee Taste Of Scotland.
Here are some other Scottish puds you might like to try. Just click on the image to zap to the recipe;
- 2 tbsp medium oatmeal
- 6 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 75 ml/3 fl oz double cream
- 1 tbsp Scotch whisky
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 75 ml/3 floz whipping cream
- zest of 1 orange
- Soak the oatmeal in 450ml/15 floz cold water for 48 hours then drain and discard the oatmeal retaining the liquid
- Pour the liquid into a pan and add the orange juice and sugar
- Bring to a boil stirring continuously till thick about 15 mins
- Remove from heat and allow to cool
- Stir in the double cream and pour into 6 small serving glasses
- Chill in fridge for 30 mins
- Mix whisky with honey and add a teaspoon to each glass
- Whip the cream and top each glass and sprinkle with orange zest
PIN ME FOR LATER