Cranachan, that oh so Scottish dessert packed with whipped cream, raspberries, oats, whisky and honey, what could be better? Well you could try turning it into my cranachan ice-cream to make it even more of a treat.
I came up with this recipe after I’d writted my baking book Simply Scottish Cakes & Bakes which featured a recipe I created for Cranachan Cheesecake. Basically I took the traditional cranachan recipe and instead of using the oats as a sprinkling on top I mixed them with shortbread crumbs and made a cheesecake base then converted the cream etc to a Ney York style baked cheesecake. It was a huge hit and I thought I could play with the recipe again to come up with a quicker dessert for summer, my Cranachan Ice-cream was born!
You will need;
Raspberries, sugar, lemon juice, whisky (goes without saying, this is Scotland after-all), cream cheese, milk , creme freche, oats, shortbread crumbs and mixed nuts.
How you do it;
All you have to do to make this Cranachan Ice-cream is cook the raspberries along with lemon juice and some of the sugar for ten minutes then puree, add whisky and set aside to cook completely. Toast the nuts and crush, also toast the oats and mix with shortbread crumbs. Mix the cream cheese, milk and creme freche with remaining sugar and chirn in ice-cream maker. Then swirl in the raspberry puree and top with the crumble.
Pop your Cranachan Ice-cream into the freezer and take out 20 minutes before you want to serve it.
- 250 g raspberries
- 3 tbsp sugar
- juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp whisky
- 2 tbsp porridge oats
- 1 tbsp crushed mixed nuts
- 2 tbsp shortbread crumbs
- 250 g cream cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup creme fereche
- 6 tbsp sugar
- Cook the raspberries with sugar and lemon juice for 10 mins then cool and puree pressing through a sieve to remove pips, add the whisky and chill well
- Toast nuts then oats in dry pan till aromatic and golden then tip out and chill
- Mix the cream cheese, milk, creme freche and sugar and churn in ice-cream maker. Swirl in the puree and scoop into freezer box and top with crumble
- Freeze till you want to eat it and defrost 20 minutes before serving