This is a simple healthy fish pie recipe whereby I mean that I’ve omitted the usual potato topping in favour of a creamy sauce with almonds. This is for the days when you want to go all out healthy and have some comfort food at the same time.
You can use a variety of fish in this healthy fish pie recipe, I’ve used salmon, cod and haddock pieces. Other ingredients include garden peas, onions, celery, garlic, leek, almond milk and flaked almonds and parsley too.
I’ve used almond milk here, actually you can even make your own almond milk, but you can use normal milk if you like instead.
This recipe is for two people with extra veggies like spinach or a big salad on the side but you can just double it up etc for more people.
HEALTHY FISH PIE
- 1 stick celery
- 1 tbsp chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 small leek finely chopped
- 1 tbsp peas defrosted
- 1 cup almond milk
- 250 g mixed fish salmon, cod, haddock
- flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Saute veg (not peas) for about 5 mins till soft
- Cook fish in milk with peas and parsley
- As soon as it boils remove from heat
- Remove fish from milk and place in oven dish with the cooked veg
- In another small pan heat butter and add 1 tbsp plain flour to make a roux
- Add milk to make sauce and pour over fish
- Sprinkle with flaked almonds
- Cover and bake for 20 mins, remove foil and bake further 5 mins
- Serve with a green salad or spinach