This super quick and easy chicken biryani traybake is moist and succulent, packed with amazing flavours and ready in just 30 minutes making it the perfect meal for any night of the week.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Chicken curry is one of the most popular dishes in the UK, whether bought as a carry-out or made at home, we just can’t get enough of it. So why not make your own amazing chicken biryani at home.
- This chicken biryani is a traybake recipe meaning it’s all done on one oven dish, so easy and less washing up!
- Quick and easy – you are just bringing everything together for this biryani style curry really quickly, all done in about half an hour so perfect as a midweek meal.
What is chicken biryani?
This is a chicken curry dish that is cooked all together. The rice and chicken are steamed in one pan so that all those delicious aromatics and chicken juices seap into the rice resulting in the most flavoursome chicken curry you can imagine.
Biryani is an Indian savoury rice dish that mixes meat and rice all steamed together rather like a Persian Pilaf. In fact, the word Biryani is derived from the Persian word Birinj which means rice.
What is the difference between a biryani and a pilaf?
Well they are both very similar really and both have the same roots, but a pilaf tends to have more veggies and rice instead of meat to rice ratio.
I love chicken and rice dishes, it is comfort food at it’s best and always quick and easy to make. If I’m not cooking this easy chicken biryani recipe then I like to make chicken pilaf and chicken risotto too.
Ingredients for chicken biryani
Chicken – the star of the show in this biryani recipe. I like to use chicken thighs as they are cheaper than chicken fillets and have lots more flavour.
Veggies – the basics of onion and garlic to give flavour to your chicken biryani and also peas for sweetness and a wonderful pop of green colour.
Spices – well, this wouldn’t be any sort of curry recipe without some amazing aromatic spices and this chicken biryani recipe has Garam Masala and ground ginger plus fresh green chilli for that hint of heat.
Stock – chicken stock (a stock cube is just fine) is the liquid that cooks the rice within this biryani dish and flavours everything from the bottom up.
Rice – biryani is a chicken and rice dish so the rice is pretty important here, it soaks up all those amazing flavours of the chicken and spices. I use Basmati rice for my biryani recipe.
The complete list of ingredients and full instructions for making this recipe can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make chicken biryani
This is such a simple one-pan biryani recipe. So you want to use an oven tray that can be used on the hob as well as being put in the oven to bake the biryani.
First things first – brown the chicken in your pan/dish and then remove it from the pan and set aside.
Add the onions to the same pan and cook for 5 minutes then add the garlic, chilli and your spices and cook for a further 2 minutes or so.
Now add the rice to the pan and the chicken too and give it a stir before covering the whole baking dish with tinfoil.
Pop your chicken biryani in the oven to steam for about 20 minutes. The rice should have absorbed all the stock by this point.
Now add the peas to your biryani and recover and pop it back into the oven for 5 minutes more.
Your one-pan chicken biryani curry is now ready to serve.
Serve your delicious homemade chicken biryani curry with a sprinkling of fresh parsley or coriander and maybe some dry roasted peanuts for extra crunch and texture too.
How many does this serve?
This simple chicken biryani curry recipe is for 2 people. You can easily make it for more just by doubling up the recipe to suit the number you are catering for.
How to serve chicken biryani
You can serve this easy biryani curry recipe either hot (as biryani is traditionally served) r cold if you have leftovers. This chicken biryani makes a great buffet/picnic dish too.
Looking for more delicious chicken recipes to try? Then check these out before you go
Chicken cacciatore (Italian hunter’s chicken)
Quick and easy Moroccan chicken tagine
Chicken traybake with chickpeas and lemon
Or why not check out my Chicken Recipe Section for lots more inspiration.
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Quick and easy chicken biryani traybake
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250 g chicken thighs
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp green chilli sliced
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp ginger ground ginger
- 100 g Basmati rice
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 100 g peas frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 190C
- Brown the chicken thighs in the oil on a high heat for a couple of minutes then remove it from the baking dish and set aside
- Add the onions to the dish and cook for 5 minutes then add the chilli, spices and garlic and cook for 2 minutes more
- Add the chicken thighs and rice to the dish along with the chicken stock. Cover with foil and pop into the oven for 20 minutes till the chicken has cooked through and the rice has absorbed all the stock
- Add the peas to the dish, recover and cook in oven for just 5 minutes more
- Serve your chicken biryani with a sprinkling of fresh parsley or coriander and some dry roasted peanuts too if you like
Leave a Reply