Ah it is getting to be the run up to Christmas, November looming large and the ideas for those foodie gifts for Christmas coming to mind. This Spiced Pear and Chocolate jam is the perfect addition to your Christmas hampers this year.
We all love jam and anything sweet that you can spread on your toast, croissants, scones and the like but this spiced pear and chocolate jam takes things a wee step further with that all-important word chocolate. Yes chocolate in jam, I’ve done it before with my raspberry and chocolate jam and now I’m at it again using pears and a bit of spice.
Pears go well with chocolate, they dance together on the taste buds like Fred and Ginger and elevate a simple slice of morning toast to something really special and a bit of a treat.
You can use any type of pears for this recipe and when it comes to the chocolate go for good quality dark chocolate with 70% cocoa content. I used a kilo of pears (they were going cheap in the supermarket) so I got 6 x 8oz jars from my recipe. Plenty to give away as foodie gifts for Christmas.
In fact if you are looking for foodie gift ideas then get my Gourmet Gifts For Christmas book, it’s packed with super easy great ideas that make you the Queen of the Christmas hampers this year!
- 1 kilo/2lb 4oz ripe pears
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 800g/1lb 12oz granulated sugar
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g/5½oz 70% dark chocolate
- Peel and core the pears and chop
- Mix pears with lemon juice and a splash of water and cook for 5 mins
- Add sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon and cook till sugar has dissolved and then simmer for 30 mins
- Test for set
- Stir in the chocolate so it melts and combines or swirl
- Ladle into sterilised jars. Makes 6 x 8 oz jars and keeps for 12 months