This spiced pear and chocolate jam is one of my guilty pleasures in life. I slather this on toast, croissants and anything else at any time of day. It is sweet and fruity and a chocaholics dream!
Spiced Pear and Chocolate Jam
Ah it is getting to be the run up to Christmas, November looming large and the ideas for those foodie gifts for Christmas coming to mind. This Spiced Pear and Chocolate jam is the perfect addition to your Christmas hampers this year.
We all love jam and anything sweet that you can spread on your toast, croissants, scones and the like but this spiced pear and chocolate jam takes things a wee step further with that all-important word chocolate.
Yes chocolate in jam, I’ve done it before with my raspberry and chocolate jam and now I’m at it again using pears and a bit of spice.
Pears go well with chocolate, they dance together on the taste buds like Fred and Ginger and elevate a simple slice of morning toast to something really special and a bit of a treat.
Ingredients for pear and chocolate jam
- You can use any type of pears for this recipe and when it comes to the chocolate go for good quality dark chocolate with 70% cocoa content.
- I used a kilo of pears (they were going cheap in the supermarket)
- Cinnamon and vanilla for the spice element
How to make this jam
- Peel, core and chop the pears and add the lemon juice and a splash of water and cook till tender
- Add the sugar and spices, simmer till dissolved then boil to a set
- ladle into sterilised jars
New to preserving? Then I’ve got you covered, check out these quick articles that’ll take you from zero to hero in the preserving lark in no time at all;
How much jam did this make?
I got 6 x 8oz jars from my recipe. Plenty to give away as foodie gifts for Christmas.
How long will this pear and chocolate jam keep?
It will keep for up to a year in a cool cupboard. Once opened store in the fridge and use within a month.
How to serve pear and chocolate jam
This luxurious jam goes perfectly on toast and scones and croissants too. However it makes the perfect quick and super easy dessert when you dollop some on to good quality vanilla ice creram. Or try swirling it through some plain Greek yogurt. It can also be used as the filling for a Victoria sponge cake.
Looking for more ideas for using pears? Then check these out before you go;
PIN ME FOR LATER
Finally, if you do try this spiced pear and chocolate jam recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/rating below. I love hearing from readers and respond to everyone just as soon as I can. Want more Larder Love, then follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook and sign up for my free newsletter too.
Spiced Pear and Chocolate Jam
- 1 kilo/2lb 4oz ripe pears
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 800 g/1lb 12oz granulated sugar
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g/5 1/2oz 70% dark chocolate
- Peel and core the pears and chop
- Mix pears with lemon juice and a splash of water and cook for 5 mins
- Add sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon and cook till sugar has dissolved and then simmer for 30 mins
- Test for set
- Stir in the chocolate so it melts and combines or swirl
- Ladle into sterilised jars. Makes 6 x 8 oz jars and keeps for 12 months