This spiced pear jam with chocolate is one of my guilty pleasures in life. I slather this on toast, croissants and anything else at any time of day. It is sweet and fruity and a chocaholics dream!
Ah it is getting to be the run up to Christmas, November looming large and the ideas for those foodie gifts for Christmas coming to mind. This Spiced Pear and Chocolate jam is the perfect addition to your Christmas hampers this year.
We all love jam and anything sweet that you can spread on your toast, croissants, scones and the like but this spiced pear and chocolate jam takes things a wee step further with that all-important word chocolate.
Yes chocolate in jam, I’ve done it before with my raspberry and chocolate jam and now I’m at it again using pears and a bit of spice.
Pears go well with chocolate, they dance together on the taste buds like Fred and Ginger and elevate a simple slice of morning toast to something really special and a bit of a treat.
Ingredients for pear jam with chocolate
- You can use any type of pears for this recipe and when it comes to the chocolate go for good quality dark chocolate with 70% cocoa content.
- I used a kilo of pears (they were going cheap in the supermarket)
- Cinnamon and vanilla for the spice element
How to make this jam
Pear and chocolate jam couldn’t be easier to make, its just a few simple steps;
- Peel, core and chop the pears and add the lemon juice and a splash of water and cook till tender
- Add the sugar and spices, simmer till dissolved then boil to a set
- ladle into sterilised jars
The complete list of ingredients and full instructions for making this recipe can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How much jam did this make?
I got 6 x 8oz jars from my recipe. Plenty to give away as foodie gifts for Christmas.
Please Note – We do not usually do water bath or other canning methods here in the UK. Our preserves keep perfectly well without this.
New to preserving? Then don’t panic, I can take you from zero to hero in no time at all.
Just check out these handy articles to get you heading in the right direction fast;
How long will this pear and chocolate jam keep?
It will keep for up to a year in a cool cupboard. Once opened store in the fridge and use within a month.
How to serve pear and chocolate jam
This luxurious jam goes perfectly on toast and scones and croissants too. However it makes the perfect quick and super easy dessert when you dollop some on to good quality vanilla ice creram. Or try swirling it through some plain Greek yogurt. It can also be used as the filling for a Victoria sponge cake.
Looking for more ideas for using pears? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Spiced Pear and Chocolate Jam
- 1 kg pears must be ripe
- 2 lemons juice
- 800 g granulated sugar
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g dark chocolate
- Peel and core the pears and chop
- Mix pears with lemon juice and a splash of water and cook for 5 mins
- Add sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon and cook till sugar has dissolved and then simmer for 30 mins
- Test for set
- Stir in the chocolate so it melts and combines or swirl
- Ladle into sterilised jars.