Read on for for watermelon and feta salad
As many of you will know I’m just back from another visit to sunny Crete. At the end of every meal you are given watermelon as an extra treat. I love this refreshing fruit and thought I’d hang on to the flavours of Greece by using it in a salad when I got home. So here is my watermelon and feta salad which gives me just a little taste of the sunshine and wonders of Crete back here in Scotland….
As we eat with our eyes before we even taste the food this dish is one that tempts the taste buds by colour alone.
Just look at that gorgeous red that makes the creamy white of the feta seem even brighter. The bright green of the torn mint leaves adds the perfect contrast and the sprinkling of tiny black sesame seeds and a grating of tangy orange zest makes for a plate as colourful as any artist’s palate.
Once the eyes have feasted it is time for taste and texture.
The salty tang of the creamy soft feta contrasts beautifully with the crisp yet melting texture of the watermelon with it’s juicy sweetness. The cool bite of the mint and the delicacy of the leaves are a delight to the senses and I like the crunch of the toasted black sesame seeds and the bitter tang of the orange zest. Follow this up with a glug of good olive oil (go Greek if you can) and a good sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper (no need for salt here as feta is quite salty in itself) and you have a watermelon and feta salad fit for the gods.
After ten days of over-dosing on watermelon I thought I couldn’t bear to touch another one, but there I was in the supermarket the other day weighing up a green monster and couldn’t resist lugging it home to make this gorgeous watermelon and feta salad.
Just looking at it makes me think of all my favourite places in Crete, the sunshine and warmth, the cool of the crystal clear waters and all my wonderful friends over there.
Memories on a plate. What food brings back memories for you?
Watermelon And Feta Salad
- 2 tbsp black sesame seeds or white if you can't get black seeds
- 1/4 watermelon cubed
- 4 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp torn mint leaves
- juice and zest of 1/2 orange
- olive oil
- black pepper
- Toast the black sesame seeds in a dry pan for approximately 1 minute or until they are aromatic (don't let them burn) and remove from hot pan immediately.
- Arrange watermelon and feta pieces on a plate and sprinkle over the toasted sesame seeds.
- Grate the zest from the orange and sprinkle over salad the squeeze out the juice.
- Drizzle orange juice and olive oil over salad.
- Scatter with torn mint leaves and add a good sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper.
PIN ME FOR LATER