I love jam but not always the amount of sugar I have to use. Sometimes I make healthier jams like this Sugar Free Apricot and Almond Chia Jam that is packed full of fruity goodness and protein too. Okay so it only keeps for 1 week in the fridge, but it’ll all gone by then anyway.
Apricots are ripe just now and the shops are full of them. This apricot and almond chia jam is a great way of using them and having the sweetness of apricot on your toast first thing in the morning.
I’ve added almonds as I just love the combination of flavours and I do like a bit of crunch with jams to make a contrast with all that gooey goodness. Toast the almond flakes first so you get more of a crunch and that really lovely toasty nutty flavour.
The only other ingredients in this apricot and almond chia jam are chia seeds (those protein packed little power-houses that give the jellyness to this jam) and a little vanilla extract that always goes so well with apricots.
Other than a dry pan to toast the almonds before you get started, the only other pieces of kitchen kit you’ll need is a food processor to whazz everything together and a pan to warm up the apricots.
It is a simple recipe but seriously tasty and for once you can say that jam is actually good for you.
Apricot and Almond Chia Jam
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- 6 apricots fresh
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Toast the flaked almonds in a dry pan for about 1 minute until golden and producing that nutty aroma, remove from pan immediately so they don't continue to cook and burn
- Half the apricots and discard stones then blitz with the vanilla extract in food processor then heat in a pan for 10 minutes at a simmer
- Remove from heat and stir in the chia seeds
- Ladle into a sterile jar and set aside for at least 1 hour before using.
- Will keep for 1 week in the fridge.