Still hanging on to the word summer regardless of that autumn chill that is now creeping into the evenings and causing me to light the fire and reach for the comfort foods.
This recipe for roasted summer compot that I am sharing today is perfect for these change-of-season days when you still want to hang on to summer tastes but need a bit of autumnal comfort as well. Spread it on hot toast and curl up by the fire with a good book and all will be right with the world.
The French are big on compots, they (the compots, not the French!) are packed with flavour but contain way less sugar than jam. This means that unless you process them in a water bath to ‘can’ them they only last for up to 1 week in the fridge, but I defy you not to finish a jar once opened, it is just so very moreish.
I’ve used a mixture of whatever was available in the supermarket on offer; peaches, apricots, plums, strawberries, raspberries, cherries and orange zest and juice. This is a great recipe for using up what is lurking in the fruit bowl and at the back of the fridge.
My other ingredients are basil leaves (oh yes that taste of summer sunshine), some agave nectar or honey, some red wine and black pepper.
To really bring out those marvelous flavours I roasted all my ingredients first in a moderate oven (180C) for 40 minutes before ladling into a pan and simmering for 20 minutes or until you can drag a wooden spoon through and leave a trail at the bottom of the pan.
After that it is just a case of potting up in sterilised jars (I got 1 chunky 500ml jar from this recipe)and enjoying this delicious little treat at your leisure.
I love spooning it over Greek yogurt for breakfast, spreading on toast for those comforting cozy-up-by-the-fire moments, dolloping onto really good vanilla ice-cream for a quick and easy dessert and even for stirring gently into gravy or sauces for a little extra fruity sweetness.
So come on, get using up all those little bits and pieces in the fridge and fruit bowl and make this super tasty roasted summer compot for a taste of summer and a cozy autumnal hug all at once.
Roasted Summer Compot
- 2 peaches
- 2 apricots
- 2 plums
- 6 strawberries
- 6 raspberries
- 6 cherries
- grated zest of 1 orange plus the juice
- 6 basil leaves
- 3 tbsp honey or agave nectar
- 2 tbsp red wine
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Stone the peaches, apricots and plums and roughly chop the fruit
- Halve cherries and strawberries
- Shred the basil leaves
- Mix all ingredients well in a roasting tin and bake in the oven at 180C/350F for 40 minutes
- Remove from oven and ladle into a heavy based pan and simmer for approx 15 minutes or until you can drag a wooden spoon through and leave a little trail briefly on the base of the pan
- Ladle into a sterilised jar (500ml) and store in fridge using within 1 week.
- You can also can this recipe in a hot water bath or freeze it.