These Greek fried meat balls can be served mini sized as a mezze starter as I’ve done here, or made in larger size and served as part of a main course with maybe chips and a salad on the side or with your favourite pasta. I love them like this as a little nibble along with a chilled glass of wine in the evening.
Oh meatballs, they are the food of childhood aren’t they. Who didn’t love meatballs and spaghetti and getting all messed up at the dinner table. And the song, remember the song about losing a meatball, my brother and I used to drive our Mum bats with that one. Anyway enough of the memories, let’s get on with these Greek fried meatballs………
You can use either minced beef or lamb for these Greek fried meatballs or even a mixture of the two. The 500g/1 lb 2 oz of mince that I used here will make lots of mini meatballs perfect as a Mezze/starter or it’ll make a main course for four people if you make the meatballs bigger in size.
A Greek favourite
Meatballs are a firm favourite in Greek cuisine, you’ll find them on the menu in every taverna worth its salt. The way I’ve served them here on tiny plates with a couple of cubes of Feta, a few olives and a small cream cheesed stuffed mini pepper and a wedge of lemon is perfect for when you’ve got friends round and you want to serve a nice little nibble with drinks before a meal. One of my friends who has a tiny bar in Crete gives you this when you order a glass of wine in the evening, now that’s what I call civilised living!
Lemon is always served with fried meatballs in Greece so don’t forget to have one on hand just to squeeze over the meatballs just before you eat them, it really ramps up that flavour and makes everything so much better.
- 500g/1lb20z minced beef or lamb (or mix of both)
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 slices crustless bread
- A little milk
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- wedges of lemon to serve
- Soak the bread in milk for 10 minutes then squeeze out as much liquid as possible
- Place all ingredients (apart from the lemon wedges) into a bowl and mix together thoroughly using your hands to squish and squeeze everything together
- Pull off pieces and roll into small balls the size of a largish marble
- Fry in olive oil for 5-10 minutes (15-20 mins for larger meatballs) rolling around in pan so all browned
- Serve with lemon wedges