While I’ve made smoked mackerel pate before. It’s such a great stand-by for lunch or snacking. I thought it was time to ramp up the flavours Mediterranean style and this tasty pate is the result.
Smoked mackerel can be a tad boring. Even when you get the flavoured varieties with peppercorns and the like.
I like to turn mine into pate that I can spread on toast, crunchy bread and crackers. This makes the smoked mackerel go a lot further and taste a damn sight better too.
For me the quintessential tastes of the Mediterranean are lemons, olives, capers, garlic, tomatoes and oregano. I can almost feel the sunshine on my face just typing those words. Wish I was there, but alas I’m here in Scotland so will have to make do with the Mediterranean being on a plate.
Ingredients for this smoked mackerel pate
- smoked mackerel fillets, use plain mackerel without added pepper etc as you are adding lots of lovely Mediterranean flavours here yourself.
- Cream cheese gives the creaminess to your pate and it’s spreadability.
- those all important Mediterranean flavours – garlic, capers, sun-dried tomatoes, olives and lemon.
- The herb factor of basil and oregano.
Use dried oregano as it always has a better flavour than fresh oregano.
Use fresh basil for it’s fabulous flavour.
How to make Mediterranean mackerel pate
You will be thrilled to know that there is no cooking involved with this pate recipe at all.
Instead, it’s just a case of bringing all your ingredients together.
Use your mini food processor to make life even easier. Just whizz everything together.
I like to keep a bit of texture in there so use a pulse rather than let the processor run wild and make a fish paste. Oh no, hellish memories of packed lunches at school and the dreaded fish paste sandwiches. No thank you!
How long will this smoked mackerel pate keep?
Your Mediterranean smoked mackerel pate will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
Can you freeze this?
Yes, wrap well in plastic freezer bag or box and it will keep for up to 3 months.
Here are some other spreads that you might like to try;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Mediterranean Smoked Mackerel Pate
- 175 g smoked mackerel fillets
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tsp capers chopped
- 2 tbsp sun dried tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp mixed olives pitted and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of dried chilli flakes
- Whizz everything in food processor on pulse to leave some texture