It wasn’t until after I wrote my post the other day about the lemony ice cream using lemoncello liqueur, that I realised I had never actually written about how to make homemade lemoncello on the blog.
I love lemoncello, to me it is sunshine in a glass. In Italy it is served ice cold as a digestif, after a good meal. It positively bursts with zesty lemon flavour and makes your taste buds tingle.
I always have a bottle of homemade lemoncello in the larder. I use it as a drink on its own, in a martini, poured over ice cream, in the makings of ice cream, in lemon curd and drizzled on sponge cakes. You name it, this stuff is just so useful in innumerable recipes. You will wonder how you ever managed without it. Especially when you realise how very simple it is to make.
What you will need;
You will just need some lemons, and don’t worry if they are not unwaxed, simply give them a good scrub with warm soapy water and rinse thoroughly before removing the rind for use in your homemade lemoncello liqueur.
You will need vodka for this one, don’t go for the Stolly or other super expensive brand, stick to supermarket own brands and keep your costs down.
Sugar and water are your only other ingredients, oh and a nice big jar to make this in. Told you it was an easy one, here is your recipe for Homemade Lemoncello.
Here’s how to make your homemade Lemoncello;
- Pare the rind off the lemon but try to avoid getting too much of the white spongy pith as this is very bitter.
- Place the lemon in a large Kilner type jar that holds a litre of liquid.
- Squeeze the juice from 4 lemons and add this to the jar with the rinds.
- Add the all important vodka to the mix.
- Warm the sugar and water to a small pan and heat gently till the sugar has dissolved and you have a sugar syrup. Let this cool.
- Add the sugar syrup to the lemon mix in the jar and seal.
- Set aside for 10 days giving it a shake every day or so.
- Strain through two layers of kitchen roll or muslin and pour into sterilised bottles.
Your homemade lemoncello is now ready to give as gifts of to simply enjoy yourself, why not you made it, you deserve it!
Homemade Lemoncello Liqueur
- 5 lemons
- 750 ml bottle of vodka
- 200 g/7oz sugar
- 200 ml/7fl oz water
- Pare the rind off the lemons and toss them into a large (1 litre size) kilner jar. You really want unwaxed lemons for this, but don't worry if you can't get them, just give normal lemons a good scrub in hot soapy water and then rinse well and dry before paring off the rind.
- Squeeze out the juice of 4 of the lemons and add this to the rinds in the jar.
- Add the vidka.
- Pour the water into a small pan and add the sugar. Warm slowly to dissolve the sugar and make a simple syrup. Let this cool.
- Add the simple syrup to your jar and seal it.
- Pop in the larder and give it a shake every day for 10 days.
- Pour through a sieve lined with cheesecloth/coffee filter and bottle.
PIN ME FOR LATER