When you want some real comfort food nothing beats beans on toast. These homemade mixed baked beans are just perfect whether for a big breakfast, lunch or for supper.
Homemade Mixed Baked Beans
We have snow on the ground and a chill in the air here. It’s time for comfort food. Good warming, hearty meals and not a salad leaf in sight.
It’s all in the mix as the title suggests. Use any and all dried beans that you have to hand. They will add different taste and texture to this amazingly simple dish.
What type of beans
I’ve used a selection of dried beans that I soaked overnight before cooking. Remember to rinse them thoroughly before cooking. You can just as easily use canned beans and save a whole lot of time.
The other ingredients are;
Sundried tomatoes (oh that rich flavour!), garlic, onion, red and yellow peppers, tinned tomatoes, some oregano and cumin and agave nectar or honey for a dash of sweetness.
Beans are perfect for this type of cooking and this simple recipe for homemade mixed baked beans is perfect for a filling meal that can be the accompaniment to almost anything from bacon and eggs (as I’ve done here for my All Day Big Breakfast) to pork chops, steak, chicken or just have them stuffed into a baked potato or on toast for total simplicity and great taste.
Here I’ve got homemade mixed roasted potatoes to serve with my beans.
Yes, this is a vegetarian recipe even though I have photographed the beans along with eggs and bacon. Just proof really that what I put up here is really what I’m making to eat myself.
PS Check out my 50 Homemade Pantry Staples article for more great store cupboard basics you can make at home.
Looking for more easy comfort food recipes? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this homemade mixed baked beans recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/rating below. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Homemade Mixed Baked Beans
- 1/2 cup assorted dried beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 sundried tomatoes in oil drained and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 red pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper finely chopped
- 400 g tinned tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp agave nectar or honey
- Fresh basil and coriander to serve
- Soak the mixed beans overnight then drain, rinse and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 1 hour till tender, drain agian.
- Heat the onions in the oil for approx 4 minutes then add the garlic for 2 minutes.
- stir in the chopped sundried tomatoes, red and yellow peppers, cumin and oregano and cook for another 10 minutes before adding the tinned tomatoes, sweetener of choice and seasoning to taste. Add the cooked beans and stir well.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Finish with some fresh basil and coriander stirred through.
PIN ME FOR LATER