This Spanish baked eggs recipe or Huevos Rancheros really is a brunch classic. Full of flavour, packed with protein and so quick and easy to make too.
Comfort food comes in many guises from soups to pastas. For me, this simple baked eggs dish from Spain is real honest to goodness comfort food.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Baked eggs are super quick to make, ready in less than half an hour start to finish.
- This Spanish baked eggs recipe is healthy low carb food.
- The taste of all those spices and veggies together is just amazing with the baked eggs.
- Huevas Rancheros is a great recipe for using up bits and pieces of vegetables leftover in the fridge.
Oven baked eggs make the perfect meal at any time of day. Baking eggs in the oven is so easy and leaves you free to do other things while the oven does all the work for you.
Ingredients for Spanish baked eggs
This is a vegetarian version of Spanish baked eggs and there are just a few ingredients. All very much store cupboard ingredients you will no doubt have on hand.
2 eggs, well they are the stars of the dish! Tomatoes, courgette/zucchini, a red pepper, onion and sweetcorn (optional)
The Flavourings – chilli, garlic and ginger. Plus some fresh herbs, I’ve used basil and coriander.
Other ingredients – olive oil and either sherry or sherry vinegar.
You can use dried chilli flakes and dried herbs for this recipe instead of fresh.
Use any veggies you have to hand for this simple oven baked eggs recipe.
Turn this vegetarian baked eggs dish into a meat feast by adding chorizo sausage, bacon or ground beef.
The complete list of ingredients and full instructions for making this recipe can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make Spanish baked eggs
Huevos Rancheros couldn’t be easier to make. First heat your olive oil in a heavy-based pan. While that is warming start chopping that veg. You want everything diced, and lovely and colourful it looks too!
Start by tossing the onions into the pan and softening them, add the garlic, chillis, peppers and ginger. Stir and cook until everything is softened. Add the tomatoes and the sweetcorn.
Chop or tear the basil and coriander and add to the pan. Now add a good slug of the sherry vinegar or sherry.
Tip everything into an ovenproof dish if you aren’t using an oven-proof skillet.
Press down two indents and break your eggs in so that they sit nicely in the hollows you’ve just made. Season with salt and pepper and pop into a medium-hot oven for about 10 minutes or until eggs cooked to your liking.
How many does this baked egg recipe serve?
My Spanish baked eggs recipe is for one person having two eggs, the perfect healthy meal. However you can easily make these Huevos Rancheros serve more people just by multiplying the ingredients to suit your numbers.
How to serve Huevos Rancheros
I like to serve my Spanish baked eggs just with hunks of crusty bread to dip into that eggy, tomato saucy goodness.
Of course, you could easily serve this with pitta bread, homemade tacos or whatever you like. Baked eggs really calls for something to mop up all that juiciness.
Enjoy the comforting, warming and fabulous sunshine in a bowl, yum!
Looking for more quick and easy egg dishes to try? Then check these out before you go;
Greek-style wild greens with eggs
Frittata with mint spinach and feta
Super simple goat’s cheese and sage frittata
Savoury tomato and cheese clafoutis
Kale and spinach souffle omelette
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Huevos Rancheros (Spanish Baked Eggs)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp minced green chilli
- 1/2 tsp minced red chilli
- 4 small tomatoes
- 1/2 cup courgette/zucchini chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup sweetcorn
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp sherry/sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh basil leaves torn
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves torn
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 tsp salt
- First heat your olive oil in a heavy-based pan. While that is warming start chopping that veg. You want everything diced, and lovely and colourful it looks too!
- Start by tossing the onions into the pan and softening them for 2 minutes, add the garlic, chillis, peppers and ginger. Stir and cook until everything is softened about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and the sweetcorn.
- Chop or tear the basil and coriander and add to the pan. Now add a good slug of the sherry vinegar or sherry.
- Tip everything into an ovenproof dish if you are not using an oven-proof skillet. Press down two indents and break your eggs in so that they sit nicely in the hollows you've just made. Season with salt and pepper and pop into a medium-hot oven for about 10 minutes or until eggs cooked to your liking.
- Serve with crusty bread
Leave a Reply