Basil lemonade is the perfect refreshing drink when the sun is shining and warming your skin as you bask in the glory that is summer. Aaah doesn’t that sound perfect, pity the reaity of the great British summer doesn’t always quite hit the mark!
Homemade lemonade is best
Homemade lemonade is so different from anything commercially created, even the fanciest and most expensive that clame to have that homemade taste come nowhere near to the perfect joy of the real thing.
This basil lemonade is basically a normal homemade lemonade but with the almost aniceed like addition of basil which lifts it to a new demension of taste, just a wee bit more grown-up than your average lemonade.
What you will need
The only ingredients you need to make this homemade basil lemonade are 3 unwaxed lemons (if you can’t get unwaxed lemons then just buy normal lemons and give them a giid scrub with warm soapy water, rince well and pat dry), some caster sugar, a bunch of fresh basil leaves and a litre of cold water.
The only kitchen kit you will require is a food proocessor and a sieve.
Come on, how easy is all this. Not even any cooking involved, in fact you can step away from that cooker completely and just stand casually by the kitchen table as you make this delightful summer drink.
Now sip and relax
Now you can sit outside in the sunshine sipping this straight with a slice of lemon, a sprig or basil and a few ice-cubes, or you can add a slosh of Bacardi rum for an almost Mojito, cheers!
- 3 unwaxed lemons
- 140g/4½ oz caster sugar
- 1 litre/1¾ pints cold water
- handful of basil leaves
- ice, lemon slices and basil leaves to serve
- Chop the lemons and put them in food processor along with the sugar and half of the water and blitz
- Press the resulting juice through a sieve into a large jug
- Add the basil leaves and set aside in the fridge overnight
- Remove from fridge and discard the basil leaves
- Add remaining water and stir well
- Serve with ice, lemon slices and a sprig of basil