Read on for my recipe for basil lemonade
Basil lemonade is the perfect refreshing drink when the sun is shining and warming your skin as you bask in the glory that is summer. Aaah doesn’t that sound perfect, pity the reality of the great British summer doesn’t always quite hit the mark!
Homemade lemonade is best
Homemade lemonade is so different from anything commercially created. Even the fanciest and most expensive that claim to have that homemade taste come nowhere near to the perfect joy of the real thing.
This basil lemonade is basically a normal homemade lemonade but with the almost aniseed like addition of basil. This lifts it to a new dimension of taste, just a wee bit more grown-up than your average lemonade.
What you will need
The only ingredients you need to make this homemade basil lemonade are 3 unwaxed lemons. If you can’t get unwaxed lemons then just buy normal lemons and give them a good scrub with warm soapy water, rinse well and pat dry. You will also need some caster sugar, a bunch of fresh basil leaves and a litre of cold water.
The only kitchen kit you will require is a food processor and a sieve.
Come on, how easy is all this. Not even any cooking involved, in fact you can step away from that cooker completely. Just stand casually by the kitchen table as you make this basil lemonade, the most delightful summer drink.
Now sip and relax
Now you can sit outside in the sunshine sipping your basil lemonade straight with a slice of lemon, a sprig or basil and a few ice-cubes, or you can add a slosh of Bacardi rum for an almost Mojito, cheers!
- 3 unwaxed lemons
- 140 g/4 1/2 oz caster sugar
- 1 litre/1 3/4 pints cold water
- handful of basil leaves
- ice lemon slices and basil leaves to serve
- Chop the lemons and put them in food processor along with the sugar and half of the water and blitz
- Press the resulting juice through a sieve into a large jug
- Add the basil leaves and set aside in the fridge overnight
- Remove from fridge and discard the basil leaves
- Add remaining water and stir well
- Serve with ice, lemon slices and a sprig of basil
PIN ME FOR LATER