It’s the simplest of ingredients that can produce the very best results. This easy Pea and Lettuce Soup is a case in point. It’s light yet creamy, packed with flavour and super low in calories too.
What’s to love about this soup recipe
- This is springtime in a bowl. Light and delicious.
- Super quick and easy to make.
- Healthy, a simple healthy soup that tastes amazing, what’s not to love about that!
When the weather is sunny but there is still just a little nip in the air, there is nothing better than this gorgeously tasty pea and lettuce soup.
The taste, the colour, it all just screams of spring and sunshine, and best of all, it is so, so easy to make.
Ingredients for pea and lettuce soup
- Frozen peas or fresh peas if you just happen to have them, but let’s face it most folks have a bag of frozen peas in the freezer.
- Onion and garlic, yes, the usual suspects when making almost any recipe.
- Half of an iceberg lettuce. You could use other types of lettuce but iceberg is great for this simple soup recipe.
- Stock – I’ve gone for vegetable stock, but use chicken stock if you like. A stock cube is just fine.
How to make pea and lettuce soup
Finely chop the onion and garlic and add to the oil in a pan. Cook over medium heat until translucent, do not brown.
Add the peas and mix well, then add the lettuce and stir in the stock.
Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
When all veg is tender remove from heat and blitz with a stick blender, or for a chunky and rustic looking soup you can crush with a potato masher.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
How to serve pea and lettuce soup
I serve mine with a drizzle of olive oil and a couple of mint leaves.
Or swirl in a little creamy yogurt (check out my recipe for how to make your own yogurt (+video!), plus mint and a tiny sprinkling of dried chilli flakes.
Enjoy with hunks of crusty bread and eat in the garden if at all possible. If no garden available then sit back and imagine a very English country scene, birds singing, trees green, flowers and bees, get the picture.
Now go on, just enjoy this delicious low-calorie pea and lettuce soup!
This soup will keep for up to 4 days in the fridge. Or freeze it for up to 6 months.
Looking for more delicious easy soups to make at home? Then check these out before you go;
Quick and easy tomato and mascarpone soup
Easy Mediterranean vegetable soup
Cream of nettle soup with potato skin crisps
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Quick and Easy low-calorie Pea and lettuce soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion small onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 500 g frozen peas or fresh peas
- 1 lt vegetable stock
- 1/2 iceberg lettuce
- salt and pepper
- heat the oil in a large pan and saute the onion for 3 minutes then ad the garlic for further 2 minutes
- Add the peas and chopped lettuce along with the stock, cover and simmer for approximately 20 minutes
- Use a stick blender to blitz the soup till creamy. Or for a ore rustic style simply mash down with a potato masher
- season with salt and pepper to taste
This recipe might come in very useful for me next week, so thanks, very timely!!
Cherry Ripe says
What a taste-bud teaser! Not only a good soup for Spring, this is also a perfect Autumn recipe for those of us Down Under. Thanks Karon.
I love this soup, I also add either mint or tarragon to ring the changes.
P.S. Love the new photo of you on the sidebar!!
Patti Smith says
Mmmm…..sounds so good! Have you got Royal Wedding fever? I am going to catch it on the TV. What are your plans?
Spring Pea Soup is looking delicious. I have read the Recipe of Spring Pea Soup and now i want to made this Spring Pea Soup for me.