Light and healthy this simple homemade coconut muesli recipe ticks all the boxes for the perfect breakfast, tastes delicious and makes a great start to your day.
What’s to love about this muesli recipe
- This is such a quick and easy recipe to pull together to make a big batch of muesli.
- Healthy, super healthy. Muesli contains no sweeteners like it’s friend granola.
- Light and filling. When it’s not porridge weather a bowl of light muesli is just as filling and keeps you going till lunchtime.
- Tasty – YOU are in charge of your ingredients so go mad and put in your favourites.
Ingredients for this coconut muesli
- Coconut is the main ingredient in this muesli mix. I have used nice big flakes of coconut, though you could use desiccated coconut instead if you fancy.
- Nuts – a good muesli needs nuts and I just use those bags of mixed nuts as I love them all. Use your favourite type of nuts, anything goes.
- Dried fruit – I’ve gone for a mixture of dried cranberries and raisins. You can use any dried fruit that you like, from sultanas to apricots, figs to dates, the choice is yours. I’ve also used dried gogi berries, a health food favourite.
- Seeds – another healthy addition and again it’s up to you what you go for here. I have chosen pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds and chia seeds.
The only sweetness in this coconut muesli is found in the dried fruit, there is nothing sugary added so you can rest assured that you are ticking those all-important healthy eating boxes first thing in the morning.
You can then feel free to ruin everything completely by having an entire packet of chocolate biscuits with your coffee at eleven o’clock!
How to make coconut muesli
This healthy muesli recipe is super easy to make, the only cooking involved is in toasting the coconut flakes nuts.
Toast the coconut flake in a dry pan over a medium heat. Now watch them like a hawk as they burn very easily and you’ll have to start all over again with a fresh batch.
They take only a minute to toast and will turn just slightly golden and start to release a gorgeously sweet and slightly nutty aroma.
Tip them out of the hot pan immediately or they will continue to cook in the residual heat of the pan.
Now break up the nuts in a pestle and mortar and then toast them in exactly the same way. Again watch them like a hawk and resist any temptation to answer the phone, pop to the loo etc.
Allow the coconut flakes and nuts to cool completely before mixing with all the other ingredients and storing in a nice big glass jar.
How much coconut muesli does this make?
I tend to make my coconut muesli in a big batch that does me for about 8 servings which is the measurements I’m giving you here.
How long does homemade muesli keep?
As long as you store it in an airtight container it’ll stay fresh for up to 6 months.
I like to have my morning muesli with Greek yogurt and any fresh berries that I happen to have lurking in the fridge.
Here is how to make your own yogurt (complete with video!)
You can use this coconut muisli as a healthy topping for a crumble. Just add it to some stewed fruit and pop it in the oven for a few minutes.
Sprinkle over a simple fruit salad for a nice healthy dessert.
So start your day with a pretty and healthy bowl of coconut muesli, it looks like summer in a bowl.
Looking for more super easy healthy breakfast ideas? Then check these out before you go;
Traditional Scottish porridge (+video!)
Super healthy carrot turmeric and ginger smoothie
Refined sugar-free homemade granola
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Super Easy Homemade Coconut Muesli
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup of mixed nuts walnuts, almonds brazils
- ½ cup dried cranberries and raisins
- 1 tbsp gogi berries
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Toast the coconut flakes in a dry pan over medium heat for about 1 minute, watch them like a hawk as they can easily burn, you just want them toasted and golden
- Roughly crush nuts with pestle and mortar and toast in the same way as the coconut flakes, they should be aromatic and golden
- Allow nuts and coconut to cool completely
- Mix all ingredients together
- Store in airtight jar for up to 6 months (makes 8 servings)
Leave a Reply