This deliciously rich and creamy chocolate spread is totally vegan and made using avocado as the base and a wee dash of chilli for heat too, yum!
I’m off to the BBC studios in Glasgow today to talk about avocados and the Avozilla (giant avocados that are now in Tesco) on the Fred McAulay show at 10.50am. Here is the recipe on the BBC web site.
I have even written a post about beauty uses and other options for avocados here.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This is a grownup chocolate spread with the kick of chilli and it knocks spots off the usual hazelnut stuff!
- This chocolate spread is acyually healthy with the goodness of all 3 ingredients, avocado, chocolate and chilli.
- This is such a quick and easy spread to make, ready in just 10 minutes!
Only 3 ingredients!
- Dark chocolate – always go for something 70% cocoa solids or more, it’s purer and tastes better too
- chilli finely chopped
How to check if an avocado is ripe
Press the avocado gently and the flesh should give just a little, this means it is ripe and ready to eat.
Ripe avocados may be a darker colour than their unripe relatives but it is always best to go by the press-test above.
If the flesh gives too much then the avocado is over-ripe and will be brown and squishy inside.
How to make chocolate avocado spread
Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in a bowl over simmering water. This is often called a Bain Marie. Make sure that the base of the bowl does not actually touch the bubbling water below.
Can you use a microwave to melt chocolate?
Yes you can but to be honest I don’t like doing that as it can easily burn, I prefer this old fashioned method.
Peel the avocado and whizz up in food processor
Add finely chopped red chilli and the melted chocolate and whizz again
Spoon into a small jar or bowl (cover with cling film)
How long will this spread keep
Your chocolate avocado spread will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge.
How to use your vegan chocolate spread
Spread on toast or crackers for a light snack.
Use this as a delilcious chocolate dip by adding just a little water or nut milk and giving it a good whisk.
This vegan spread makes a great filling for cakes and pastries too.
Looking for more super easy spread recipes to try? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
3 ingredient vegan chocolate avocado spread
- 100 g dark chocolate 70% cocoa solids or more
- 2 avocados check they are ripe
- 1/4 tsp red chilli very finely chopped
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in a bowl over a pan of bubbling water but don’t let the bowl touch the water itself.
- Peel the avocado and whizz up the flesh in a food processor.
- Add the finely chopped chilli and pour in the melted chocolate.
- Whizz to combine.
- Spoon into a jar or bowl and chill in the fridge.