Read on for my recipe for Aubergine mini pizzas
When you think of pizza you automatically think of that Italian classic with a dough base or the healthier modern version made with a cauliflower base. Either way it is a big flat base with various toppings. My aubergine mini pizzas are nothing like that, they are simple and healthy and the aubergine is the base. If you want another name for these then they would be Eggplant Mini Pizzas.
My aubergine mini pizzas make great party fodder, while this recipe only uses one aubergine and makes approximately 10 (depending on the size of the aubergine of course, come on girls we all know size matters!) you just double or triple the ingredients to make as many as you need for a crowd.
I think they are good as party food as they are much lighter than your usual pizza, healthier and just taste really good. Always make sure you are liberal with the napkins, especially if you are being seriously generous on the topping front. Nobody wants tomato on their front!
Any Meal Will Do
I also make my aubergine mini pizzas as a vegetable side dish with pork chops and just serve the chop on a plate with two mini aubergine pizzas beside it. I have been known just to have a whole batch of them as my main supper dish. I’d like to say I only have two but then I’d be fibbing as I adore these aubergine mini pizzas and can easily gobble up the whole lot.
It’s all Greek to me!
Even though I’ve used the word pizza in the title I class these among my Greek recipes as the aubergine (eggplant), tomatoes, oregano, thyme, garlic, honey and parsley are all used so much in traditional Greek cooking.
I love making Mediterranean style food, it is healthy and colourful and always makes me feel like I’m bringing a bit of warmth into the chilly winter months.
AUBERGINE MINI PIZZAS
- 1 large aubergine cut into 1cm rings about 10
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 stick celery finely chopped
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 4 fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp runny honey
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the aubergine on both sides till golden and cooked through
- Remove from pan and place in warming oven
- Add more oil to the pan and sauté the onion for 5 mins
- Add the garlic and celery for 2 mins
- Add tomatoes and puree plus honey, herbs and seasoning
- Simmer covered for 20 mins
- Place 1 tbsp of the tomato topping on each slice of aubergine and sprinkle with parsley
PIN ME FOR LATER