Well it’s New Year very soon and what could be better for your Hogmanay party than my Scotch Punch Up! which is a great growd pleaser. Punch is always a good thing to serve if you have a big group of people, it keeps things simple for you, the host and everyone enjoys the tipple too!
Mixed drinks served en masse inthe form of fruit cups or punch are great time savers for parties. You can either serve this Scotch Punch Up! in a large punch bowl with a ladle and glasses at the ready or pour it from a jug. Either way it frees you up from having to make up individual drinks.
Mix a party punch
As the name suggests this is a whisky based punch but has lots of other flavours in there as well, including rosemary, ginger, orange, lemon and apple. You can make it as strong as you like by just ajusting your measures in the booze department.
Remember to make up a non alcoholic punch for drivers too.
By the way, this recipe for Scotch Punch Up! is from my book A Wee Taste Of Scotland.
Have a great New Year everyone. Thanks so much for supporting Larder Love And Greek Olives & Honey throughout 2017. Here’s to a great 2018.
Cheers and Yammas!
Scotch Pinch Up!
- 2 cm/1" piece of fresh ginger root
- large sprig of rosemary
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 600 ml/1 pint cloudy fresh apple juice
- 200 ml/7fl oz Scotch whisky
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- slices of orange and lemon and apple
- extra sprig of rosemary
- 1 litre/1 3/4 pints ginger beer
- Make the ginger and rosemary syrup by grating the ginger into a small pan and bashing the rosemary to release its oils and adding to the pan along with the sugar and water.
- Heat gently till sugar completely dissolves, bring to boil then remove from heat and allow to cool completely
- Strain out the ginger and rosemary.
- Pour syrup into a large jug or punch bowl and add cloudy apple juice, whisky, freshly squeezed lemon and orange juice.
- Add ice cubes, fruit slices and sprig of rosemary and stir well to combine
- Pour in the ginger beer and stir again
- Serve immediately well chilled