This marvelous mint ice-cream uses real natural fresh mint as the flavouring. What could be better for a summertime treat.
What’s to love about this ice-cream recipe
- Using fresh mint means this is an all natural ice-cream
- No additives or colourings, this is as fresh as it gets
- Delicious and super easy to make
I’ve always loved the flavour of mint in everything from savoury dishes to chocolate and of course good old mint ice-cream.
However, I’m not a huge fan of the bright green colouring that seems to accompany anything mint flavoured. This homemade fresh mint ice-cream is all natural and has no colouring whatsoever, just that delicious mint flavour of the real thing.
Ingredients for homemade fresh mint ice-cream
- A good handful of fresh mint leaves (about a cup)
- 500ml/16fl oz whole milk (full fat)
- 500ml/16fl oz double cream (heavy cream)
- 125g/4 oz caster sugar (super fine)
Can you use mint flavouring?
Yes of course you can. Instead of the mint leaves use 1/2 tsp peppermint extract.
Can you use mint tea?
Yes, you can flavour the milk/cream combination with a couple of mint tea bags instead of fresh mint leaves.
How to make homemade fresh mint ice-cream
- Pour the milk and cream into a pan and add the sugar. Rough the mint leaves up a bit to bruise them and release the essential oils. When you are in a cloud of heavenly mint fragrance you’ll know you’ve done this right!
- Toss the mint in with the other ingredients and warm gently to dissolve the sugar. Bring it almost to the boil but not quite, then simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Chill overnight in the fridge to let the flavours really develop. Strain the flavoured milk/cream and discard the mint leaves.
- Then churn in your ice cream maker and then pop into the freezer for a few hours.
How to serve fresh mint ice-cream
I served my homemade mint ice-cream in these cute little chocolate cups, but is just as good in a cone/cornet with some chocolate chips scattered on top.
Looking for more super easy homemade ice-cream recipes to try? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Homemade Mint Ice-cream Using Fresh Mint
- Ice-cream maker
- 1 cup mint fresh mint leaves
- 500 ml milk use full fat milk
- 500 ml double cream heavy cream
- 125 g caster sugar super fine sugar
- Rough up the mint leaves a bit to release their essential oils and add them to a pan with the milk, cream and sugar
- Warm gently to dissolve the sugar then raise the heat till it amost boils but not quite then lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes
- Chill in the fridge overnight then remove the mint and discard
- Pour into an ice-cream machine and churn according to instructions