Mixing a favourite liqueur (limoncello) with a favourite dessert (ice-cream) is always going to be a winner. This deliciously light and creamy homemade fresh lemon ice-cream with limoncello is a summertime special that can be made all year round.
Why you’ll love this dessert recipe
- Because this ice-cream is just packed with the most amazing lip-puckering lemon flavour.
- Homemade lemon ice-cream is nothing like anything you can buy in the shops so if you are making this for a supper party friends will be SO impressed!
- This is a super easy ice-cream recipe, you don’t need to make a custard base or anything complicated.
I love ice-cream, the sweetness, the softness, the whole throw you back to childhood, summer sunshine happiness of the stuff.
It tickles the tastebuds and skips with memories, for me it has to be classed as Happy Food. Maybe not a neccessity in life, but certainly one of life’s real pleasures.
As children growing up in Musselburgh we had access to two wonderful ice-cream shops with lots of exciting flavours.Of course we had to try them all, over and over again, the start of a true obsession with ice-cream was born.
While I adore rich creamy ice-cream like a chocolate with walnuts, something with real depth and powerful flavour, I also like lighter fruity types, strawberry or maybe banana, good old vanilla is a classic of course. But for some kick start summer sunshine I like lemon ice-cream.
Ingredients for Lemon Ice-cream
- 500ml double cream
- 500ml milk
- Lemon peel for 1 large lemon
- handful of fresh lemon balm
- 75g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemoncello liqueur (optional)
I’ve used my own homemade limoncello for this lemon ice-creram recipe. This is purely optional of course.
Lemon balm – this is a herb that is actually part of the mint family whose formal name is Melissa officionalis. It has a delilghtfully stronge lemon flavour and scent. Again, this is an optional ingredient.
- Add the lemon peel to a pan along with the cream, milk, sugar and handful of lemon balm leaves.
- Slowly warm up to dissolve sugar and let this simmer (Do not boil) for 20 minutes.
- Cool completely and remove the solids.
- Set aside in the fridge for at least 4 hours (or overnight) to let the flavours develop.
- Add the liqueur if you are using. and run this through your ice-cream maker.
Looking for more delicious homemade ice-cream recipes to try? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Homemade fresh lemon ice-cream with limoncello
- 500 ml double cream heavy cream
- 500 ml milk
- 1 lemon peel
- 2 tbsp lemon balm leaves finely chopped – optional
- 75 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp limoncello liqueur optional
- Heat the milk and cream along with the lemon peel, sugar and lemon balm (if using). Let the sugar dissolve and just simmer (do not boil) for 20 minutes.
- Cool the milk mixture completely and sieve out the solids
- Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours, better still overnight to let the flavours really develop
- Add the liqueur (if using) and churn in ice-cream maker then freeze