If you haven’t had the fruit steeping for months or had that Christmas cake under wraps since October here is a last-minute Christmas cake recipe that will have you whipping up your own on Christmas Even and going nowhere near the shops!
Today I’m making my paper snowballs on the BBC so as I have already shared that with you I thought I would bring you my last minute Christmas cake instead.
Now I have used my Vegetarian Mincemeat (see post last week) to make this Christmas cake.
But you could use any store-bought mincemeat if you don’t have any of this great stuff to hand.
What size of Christmas cake
Instead of making one normal-sized cake I used 4 small loaf tins and made 4 mini cakes so I can keep one for myself and give the others to friends as prezzies next week.
Most folks have made their Christmas cakes in November or October.
They are planners, people on the festive ball, ready with those prezzies bought and wrapped and the tree up on 1st December.
This last minute quick Christmas cake idea will be totally alien to them.
Sometimes life just gets in the way of our grand plans, especially at this time of year.
Ingredients for Quick Christmas Cake
This last minute Christmas cake recipe uses booze-filled mincemeat as it’s main component so the weeks of feeding cake with booze are cut out completely.
This cake (or in my case 4 small loaf shaped cakes) is simplicity itself. A case of tossing all the ingredients into a bowl, mixing well then spooning into prepared tins and letting the oven take care of the rest.
Don’t you just love an easy recipe? This quick Christmas cake recipe really hits the spot on that one.
How long will this cake last
This Christmas cake will keep for up to a month if well wrapped in an airtight box. You can of course freeze it for up to 3 months. but do that as an un-iced cake.
Looking for more festive recipes? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Last Minute Christmas Cake
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 200 g dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 225 g self raising flour
- 400 g Vegetarian Mincemeat
- 60 g sultanas
- 60 g dried apricots chopped small
- 60 g glace cherries chopped
- 60 g chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3
- Either grease a 20cm round tin and line with baking paper, or grease and line 4 mini loaf pans as I did.
- Throw all ingredients into a large bowl and stir them all together until they are thoroughly mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into your prepared tin/s and smooth out the top.
- Bake a single cake for approx 1 1/2 hours and smaller cakes for just over 1 hour. Test by inserting a skewer into the centre. It should come out clean and the cake/s should have shrunk away from edges of tin/s just a little.
- Leave to cool before removing for tin/s and then ice as you wish.