I love mince pies. I adore the pungent boozy luxury of good mincemeat. It is so easy to make your own, it really does seem like a crime to buy the stuff.
This is an easy vegetarian mincemeat recipe, no suet required!
Don’t just think of this as a bog standard filling for the standard mince pie, oh no dear friends, this is a real treat and is just wonderful served warmed up as an accompaniment for a really good vanilla ice-cream, or stuffed into the core cavity of an apple and baked in the oven and served with cream.
Tomorrow we’ll make the most marvelous mince pies with this, you’ll love them!
- 750g/1lb 11oz luxury dried fruit mix
- 100g/3½oz carrots grated
- 150g/5oz apples (any eating variety) grated
- 1 orange, grated rind and juice
- 1 lemon, grated rind and juice
- 5cm/2" piece fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 1 red chili finely chopped
- clear runny honey
- 1½ tablespoons Allspice powder
- 125ml/4fl oz Brandy/Whisky or Rum
- Now comes the hard bit. Brace yourselves - okay are you ready for this?
- Chuck the whole lot in a great big bowl and stir well to combine.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave for 3 days to mature.
- Spoon into chunky jars and top each with 2 tablespoons of your chosen booze.
- Seal jars.
- It is now ready to use and will keep for at least a month due to the high booze content and the honey.