I love mince pies. I adore the pungent boozy luxury of good mincemeat. It is so easy to make your own, it really does seem like a crime to buy the stuff.
This is an easy vegetarian mincemeat recipe, no suet required!
Don’t just think of this as a bog standard filling for the standard mince pie, oh no dear friends, this is a real treat and is just wonderful served warmed up as an accompaniment for a really good vanilla ice-cream, or stuffed into the core cavity of an apple and baked in the oven and served with cream.
Tomorrow we’ll make the most marvelous mince pies with this, you’ll love them!
Easy Vegetarian Mincemeat
- 750 g/1lb 11oz luxury dried fruit mix
- 100 g/3 1/2oz carrots grated
- 150 g/5oz apples any eating variety grated
- 1 orange grated rind and juice
- 1 lemon grated rind and juice
- 5 cm/2" piece fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 1 red chili finely chopped
- 65 g/2oz
- clear runny honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Allspice powder
- 125 ml/4fl oz Brandy/Whisky or Rum
- Now comes the hard bit. Brace yourselves - okay are you ready for this?
- Chuck the whole lot in a great big bowl and stir well to combine.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave for 3 days to mature.
- Spoon into chunky jars and top each with 2 tablespoons of your chosen booze.
- Seal jars.
- It is now ready to use and will keep for at least a month due to the high booze content and the honey.