Read on for my recipe for vegetarian mincemeat
I love mince pies. I adore the pungent boozy luxury of good mincemeat. It is so easy to make your own, it really does seem like a crime to buy the stuff.
Don’t just think of this as a bog standard filling for the good old mince pie, oh no dear friends, this is a real treat and is just wonderful served warmed up as an accompaniment for a really good vanilla ice-cream, or stuffed into the core cavity of an apple and baked in the oven and served with cream.
This is an easy vegetarian mincemeat recipe, no suet required!
Way back in history mincemeat really did contain meat, hence the name. Nowadays it is a mixture of all sorts of dried fruits, nuts and booze. Oh and the remaining meaty ingredient is suet.
My vegetarian mincemeat contains no suet, so all the non meat eaters are safe to consume as many of my mince pies as they like! al. There isn’t even much of that so this vegetarian mincemean is pretty much sugar free too.
See, I told you I was ticking all the boxes with this one!
Tomorrow we’ll make the most marvelous mince pies with this, you’ll love them!
Easy Vegetarian Mincemeat
- 65 g/2oz roughly chopped mixed nuts
- 750 g/1lb 11oz luxury dried fruit mix
- 100 g/3 1/2oz carrots grated
- 150 g/5oz apples any eating variety grated
- 1 orange grated rind and juice
- 1 lemon grated rind and juice
- 5 cm/2" piece fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 1 tsp red chili finely chopped
- 1 tbsp clear runny honey
- 1 1/2 tsp Allspice powder
- 125 ml/4fl oz Brandy/Whisky or Rum
- Toast the chopped nuts in a dry pan for approx 1 minute till they release their gorgeous nutty aroma, remove from pan and allow to cool.
- Now comes the hard bit. Brace yourselves - okay are you ready for this?
- Chuck the whole lot in a great big bowl and stir well to combine.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave for 3 days to mature.
- Spoon into chunky jars and top each with 2 tablespoons of your chosen booze.
- Seal jars.
- It is now ready to use and will keep for at least a month due to the high booze content and the honey.