Deliciously light yet creamy this chilled prawn and cucumber soup is perfect for lunch or supper in the garden when the weather is good or for summer parties or picnics too.
I love soup of all sorts, to me, it is the ultimate comfort food. So why should you be deprived of your comforts in summer when the weather is (hopefully) warmer.
That’s when chilled soups come into play. Just as comforting in their luxurious creaminess but cool and a little decadent too.
I came up with this recipe for my book A Wee Taste Of Scotland where you’ll find over 50 easy recipes for Scottish inspired party food and nibbles.
Ingredients for prawn and cucumber soup
The soup base is onion and garlic, pretty much standard for all soups.
Then there is cucumber, cooked prawns, cream and milk.
Herbs for flavour
I’ve used a combination of fresh mint, dill and chives in my recipe.
How to make chilled prawn and cucumber soup
Start by sauteing the onion in a pan and then adding the garlic.
Now add the cucumber and cook for 5 minutes before adding the milk and almost bringing to the boil before lowering heat and simmering for just 5 minutes.
Use a stick blender to puree the soup and then add the chopped cooked prawns, herbs and cream
Pour into small glasses and cover and chill for 2 hours.
Serve with an extra prawn balanced on the side of the glass
When making these chilled/cold soups the time that you leave them to chill for is really important. Not only are you bringing the temperature of the soup down but you are giving it time for the flavours to develop properly.
Looking for more delightful chilled soup recipes to try this summer? Then check these out before you go;
Chilled summer borscht (beetroot soup)
Chilled cream of asparagus soup with almonds and thyme
Light and creamy nasturtium soup
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Chilled prawn and cucumber soup
- 25 g butter
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 small cucumber peeled and finely diced
- 300 ml milk
- 1 tbsp mint dill and chives chopped
- 50 g prawns cooked peeled and chopped
- 300 ml double cream thick cream
- salt and pepper
- 6 cooked prawns peeled but with tails left on and ribbons of cucumber to decorate each glass
- Melt butter and gently saute the onion and garlic till soft but not coloured
- Add chopped cucumber and cook till tender
- Stir in milk and almost bring to boil then lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes
- Blitz till smooth and cool completely
- Stir in the cooked peeled and chopped prawns, herbs and double cream
- Cover with clingflim and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours to allow flavours to develop
- Serve in 6 small glasses
Leave a Reply