This spicy sweet potato soup is hearty and filling but lower in carbs than a standard potato soup for great for the waistline as well as those tastebuds!
Why you’ll love this soup
- I love a quick and easy soup and this sweet potato soup recipe comes together in less than half an hour.
- Zero waste – don’t throw away those potato skins, crisp them up in thee oven to top your sweet potato soup and give it a fun and tasty crunch.
- Health – sweet potatoes contain less carbs than standard potatoes making this a healthy sweet potato soup.
It is soup season so we want a comforting bowl of goodness on hand and this spicy sweet potato soup ticks all the boxes.
Ingredients for Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
Sweet potatoes – I used five sweet potatoes which totalled 800g in weight. You can get huge sweet potatoes so use less if you are going big.
Other vegetables – There really aren’t many ingredients in this sweet potato soup, just a carrot, some garlic and a stick of celery.
Spices – This is a spicy sweet potato soup so I have opted for Harissa paste (you can even make your own homemade harissa paste here). You could use curry paste instead for a curry spiced soup which works just as well with the flavour of sweet potatoes. Use what you have in the house.
Stock – This is a vegetarian sweet potato soup recipe so I’ve just used vegetable stock. Feel free to use chicken stock if that is what you have available.
The complete list of ingredients and full instructions for making this recipe can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make sweet potato soup
Wash and dry the sweet potatoes and peel them reserving the strips of peel to make the sweet potato crisps to decorate your finished soup.
Chop the carrot, celery and garlic and saute in a pan with a little olive oil for 5 minutes. This is the base for your soup and adds all the flavour.
Add the chunks of sweet potato to the veggies along with the harissa paste and stir well.
Now add your chosen stock, stir, season with salt and pepper to taste and cover the pan with a lid.
Let the sweet potato soup simmer for about 20 minutes till the sweet potato chunks are tender. If you are cooking on an Aga pop the pan into the baking oven for 20 minutes instead.
Using a potato masher squish down the cooked sweet potato chunks till you get the consistency you prefest for yous spicy sweet potato soup.
Of course you can use a stick blender for this if you want a really smooth soup, but I like a bit of texture so I just stick with my trusty old potato masher here.
How to make sweet potato crisps
Remember those potato peelings you put aside at the beginning of this soup making? Well you can be turning them into super tasty crisps while your sweet potato soup is cooking.
Simply spread the peelings out on an oven tray with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes at 200 degrees C. Keep an eye on them as they burn easily.
How to serve this spicy sweet potato soup
Serve your soup nive and hot with the homemade sweet potato crisps scattered on top and a few torn leaves of coriander or parsley if you have them available.
How many does this serve?
This recipe for sweet potato soup serves 6 people or 4 if you are each having a big bowl of soup.
How long does this keep?
Yout spicy sweet potato soup will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge. You can freeze this soup for up to 6 months.
I like to freeze my soups in freezer bags (remember to label and date them) and lay flay in baking stray in freezer till frozen. Then I simply line them uplike files in an office to save on valuable freezer space.
Looking for more tasty soup recipe ideas? Then check these out before you go;
And if you want even more soupy inspiration check out my Souper Soups section where you’ll find all my delicious soup recipes in one place.
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
- 800 g sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 600 ml vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp harissa paste or curry paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash, dry and peel the sweet potatoes reserving the strips of peel to make the crisps
- Chop the sweet potato flesh into chunks about 1-1.5cm in size
- Chop the celery, garlic and carrot and saute in half the olive oil for 5 minutes then add the sweet potato and harissa past for 1 minute
- Add the stock and seasoning and cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes till the sweet potato is tender
- use a potato masher or immersion blender to smooth out your soup
Sweet potato crisps
- Spread the peels on a baking tray with the remaining olive oil plus some salt and pepper
- Bake in oven at 200C for about 5 minutes till golden and brown. The crisps with crisp up as they cool out of the oven
- Serve your spicy sweet potato soup with some torn up coriander, basil or parsley leaves and a few of the sweet potato crisps on top