Desserts needn’t be sugar-packed to be tasty. This delicious sweet potato flan is naturally sweetened with just a little honey and has a warm spicy flavour.
What is a flan?
Flans are strange beings, a baked pudding that really should be in a pie case but appears rather as a nudist and somewhat vulnerable without one.
However, you look at it though flans are a seriously tasty dessert and just because they can’t be handheld like a pie that should never be held (or spooned/forked) against them! This is a refined sugar-free sweet potato flan that is gluten-free too.
Ingredients for sweet potato flan
- Sweet potatoes – Now sweet potatoes may seem a strange veggie to put into a dessert but their very sweetness makes them the perfect vehicle for this spicy creamy confection that will brighten up your tea time or finish a meal perfectly.
- Honey – I don’t use any refined sugar in this sweet potato flan recipe just a teaspoonful of runny honey to perk things up a bit.
- Spices – The warmth of the turmeric, ginger and cinnamon add so much flavour to the sweet potato base.
- Natural yogurt – You get a lovely tang with natural yogurt to balance things out, you end up with something that ticks the boxes for sweet yet just a tad tart – and of course a flan and not a tart at all. Hey let’s not get into that one again…..
I use yogurt in a whole host of recipes and like to make my own. Check out these posts on how to make your own homemade natural yogurt (+Video!) and how to make Greek style yogurt.
How to make sweet potato flan
I love desserts that take little effort other than maybe beating things together.
This is one such recipe, just a matter of mixing all your ingredients in a bowl and spooning them into a baking tin and baking for 25-30 mins.
Then voila! you have a sweet potato flan that will tickle the taste buds and be kind to the waistline too.
What size of flan does this make?
By the way I have made a small flan here using a 15cm/6″ baking tin. This will make either 4n small slices or 2 large slices of sweet potato flan.
Want to make it bigger? Then simply multiply the ingredients listed below and use a bigger tin.
How to serve sweet potato flan
I serve mine with plain Greek yogurt. This keeps the calories down.
However feel free to serve this flan with a really nice vanilla ice-cream instead or whipped cream.
Looking for more super easy desserts to make at home? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Refined Sugar Free Sweet Potato Flan
- 15cm/6" baking tin
- 1 cup of cooked sweet potato mashed
- 4 tbsp natural yogurt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp honey
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4
- Beat together all ingredients either in a mixer or by hand.
- Spoon into a loose based pie tin lined with a piece of baking parchment
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until almost firm on top but with a slight jiggle.
- Allow to cool before removing from tin.
- Serve with yogurt/cream or even ice-cream.