Flans are strange beings, a baked pudding that really should be in a pie case but appears rather as a nudist and somewhat vulnerable without one. However you look at it though flans are a seriously tasty dessert and just because they can’t be hand held like a pie that should never be held (or spooned/forked) against them!
Sweet potatoes may seem a strange veggie to put into a dessert but their very sweetness makes them the perfect vehicle for this spicy creamy confection that will brighten up your tea time or finish a meal perfectly.
I don’t use any refined sugar in my sweet potato flan recipe just a pinch of Stevia powder to perk things up a bit. The warmth of the turmeric, ginger and cinnamon add so much flavour to the sweet potato base and with a tang of natural yogurt to balance things out, you end up with something that ticks the boxes for sweet yet just a tad tart – and of course a flan and not a tart at all. Hey let’s not get into that one again…..
I love desserts that take little effort other than maybe beating things together. This is one such recipe, just a matter of mixing and baking et voila after 25-30 mins in the oven you have a sweet potato flan that will tickle the taste buds and be kind to the waistline too.
Have a good weekend!
- 1 cup of cooked sweet potato mashed
- 4 tbsp natural yogurt
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Stevia powder
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4
- Beat together all ingredients either in a mixer or by hand.
- Spoon into a loose based pie tin lined with a piece of baking parchment
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until almost firm on top but with a slight jiggle.
- Allow to cool before removing from tin.
- Serve with yogurt/cream or even ice-cream.