Sometimes making store cupboard-basics is really a case more of using things up and waste-not-want-not, rather than trying to be in any way creative.
This sugar free banana and ginger jam is a case in point. I so hate wasting food and bananas always seem to turn and go mushy so quickly it is good to have some recipes up your sleave to use them up whenever you can.
I would normally hit the flour and sugar and start making banana bread, but no, not this time. I decided to go for something just as sweet but a tad more healthy and something that would also last a wee while longer – sugar free banana and ginger jam.
Some things are easier to make than others, and this is most definitely on the easy side.
Here is all you need to make one jar of Sugar Free Banana And Ginger Jam;
2 large bananas (or 3 medium)
2cm/3/4″ piece of fresh ginger (or 1/4 tsp ground ginger)
1 orange (zest and juice)
1/2 lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp runny honey
Making The Jam;
Peel and chop the bananas and finely chop the fresh ginger.
Stir these in a heavy based pan along with the orange and lemon juice and the zest of the orange, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Add the honey.
Heat gently till the honey has completely dissolved and then raise the temperature to a simmer and keep stirring, cook for 15 minutes. If you cook too long the bananas will darken.
Spoon into a sterilised jar and pop on the lid. Store in the fridge and use within 2 weeks.
Serve on toast or crumpets, or even better, stir into plain yogurt for a breakfast treat.
Sugar Free Banana And Ginger Jam
- 2 large ripe bananas or 3 medium
- 2 cm/3/4" fresh ginger or 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- juice and zest of 1 orange
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp runny honey
- Peel the bananas and chop
- cook bananas, orange juice and zest, lemon juice and all other ingredients over a low heat until the honey has dissolved completely.
- Raise temperature to a simmer and keep stilling for about 15 minutes.
- Do not over cook as the banana jam will darken the longer you cook it.
- Spoon into a sterilised can.
- Store in fridge and use within 2 weeks.