With all the flavours of the finest turkey roast dinner. This turkey bacon quiche is rich and creamy and just packed with flavour. It’s just perfect for picnics and buffet parties as well as for lunch with a salad on the side.
Why you should try this recipe
- Turkey bacon is much lower fat than ‘normal’ bacon
- A quiche is always a great dish to make for a picnic or outdoor lunch
- This is an excconomical recipe so great for parties and feeding a crowd
The inspiration for this quiche
Inspiration comes from all sorts of places, for me it’s very often what is in the fridge that nudges me in one direction or another. This Turkey Bacon Quiche is a real case in point.
I had a real yen to make a quiche but no normal bacon, just turkey rashers. Hmmmm let’s try that and go with the whole turkey idea and add the flavours that go naturally with it.
So here is the result, called Turkey Bacon Quiche for the fact that it is turkey with a bit of the trimmings and also remembering that turkey is less fattening than bacon so keeps you trim. Oh come on I do try honestly…..
Ingredients for turkey bacon quiche
- Turkey bacon rashers – you can always just use normal bacon instead of course.
- a packet of shortcrust pastry
- Onion, leek and garlic are the base for this quiche
- eggs of course plus cream
- sage and seasoning
Store cupboard basics
As I’ve already said, this recipe was brought about through a bit of fridge foraging. I have basically done the same for the pastry, just a packet of shortcrust pastry from the freezer. Yes I know it is easy enough to make your own pastry, and I frequently do. However for a quick midweek meal I am all for using what you have on hand in fridge, freezer and larder. Keep things simple, quick and easy to avoid stress.
How to make turkey bacon quiche
Saute the onion, leek and garlic along with the chopped up turkey bacon. Add the sage and seasoning.
Meanwhile beat together the eggs and cream with some salt and pepper.
Roll out the pastry and lline a round baking tin with it. Spoon in the turkey bacon mixture and top with the eggy cream.
Bake for about 30 minutes till golden and set on top.
How to serve this quiche
Serve with a simple green salad on the side.
This is great as part of a picnic or a party buffet table.
This turkey bacon quiche will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days and you can freeze it for up to 3 months. Defrost thoroughly before reheating.
Looking for more simple picnic and buffet style recipes to try? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Turkey Bacon Quiche
- 23cm/9" flan tin
- 375 g shortcrust pastry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150 g turkey bacon
- 2 eggs
- 200 ml double cream heavy cream
- 1/2 leek chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp sage fresh leaves minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180FGas 6
- Roll out the pastry and press into a 23cm/9″ flan tin with loose base. Prick the base all over with a fork and fill with baking beans or dried beans. Bake blind for 12 minutes and then remove the beans.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and cook the onions and leeks, add the garlic and the chopped up turkey rashers and the finely chopped sage. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the cream and eggs with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the turkey mixture into your pie case and pour on the eggy cream.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until set on top.