Read on for my recipe for turkey bacon quiche
Inspiration comes from all sorts of places, for me it’s very often what is in the fridge that nudges me in one direction or another. This Turkey Bacon Quiche is a real case in point.
I had a real yen to make a quiche but no normal bacon, just turkey rashers. Hmmmm let’s try that and go with the whole turkey idea and add the flavours that go naturally with it.
So here is the result, called Turkey Bacon Quiche for the fact that it is turkey with a bit of the trimmings and also remembering that turkey is less fattening than bacon so keeps you trim. Oh come on I do try honestly…..
Store cupboard basics
As I’ve already said, this recipe was brought about through a bit of fridge foraging. I have basically done the same for the pastry, just a packet of shortcrust pastry from the freezer. Yes I know it is easy enough to make your own pastry, and I frequently do. However for a quick midweek meal I am all for using what you have on hand in fridge, freezer and larder. Keep things simple, quick and easy to avoid stress.
Turkey Trim Quiche
- 375 g/13oz pack of shortcrust pastry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 150 g/5oz pack of turkey rashers
- 2 eggs
- 200 ml/7fl oz double cream heavy cream
- 1/2 small leek chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves finely chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180FGas 6
- Roll out the pastry and press into a 23cm/9" flan tin with loose base. Prick the base all over with a fork and fill with baking beans or dried beans. Bake blind for 12 minutes and then remove the beans.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and cook the onions and leeks, add the garlic and the chopped up turkey rashers and the finely chopped sage. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the cream and eggs with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the turkey mixture into your pie case and pour on the eggy cream.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until set on top.
PIN ME FOR LATER