Chickpea flour/gram flour makes wonderfully nutty pancakes/crepes which are gluten-free. The delicious spinach and feta filling makes these crepes a real treat any time.
Spinach and feta are well known as Greek ingredients, but chickpeas are often used in cooking there too.
These spinach and feta chickpea pancakes use chickpea flour (gram flour) instead of the usual plain stuff so are lighter and super healthy.
What is gram flour
Chickpea flour (gram flour) is far healthier than our usual wheat based flours and is perfect for those looking for a gluten free alternative. It has a nice nutty flavour.
Gram flour is used to make the famous ultra-thin crepes so popular in the South of France particularly in Provence called Socca.
Of course I’m adding a Greek spin to mine by throwing in some of my favourite ingredients; spinach, feta, nutmeg, basil, chives, onion and garlic.
For the chickpea pancakes all you need is the gram flour and water. I’ve added in some chives and besil for extra flavour.
For this creamy filling, I’ve brought together spinach, feta cheese and some onion and garlic. throw in some seasoning and that’s about it.
How to make this recipe
Simply whisk together the chickpea flour with the water and herbs and set aside for 15 minutes while you make your filling.
Saute the onion and add the garlic then spinach, nutmeg and seasoning.
Fry the pancakes for 2 minutes, flip and fill with the spinach filling and crumbled feta and fold over.
How to serve chickpea pancakes
You can add a salad on the side or just simply some tomatoes as I have here. This is a light meal but filling too. Healthy eating at its best!
Come on, how easy is that?
Looking for more super pancake recipes? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Spinach And Feta Chickpea Pancakes
- 100 g chickpea flour gram flour
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tsp chopped fresh basil
- 150 ml cold water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced small
- 1 clove garlic minced
- nutmeg and black pepper to taste
- 150 g chopped spinach
- 25 g crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tsp olive oil for frying
- Whisk together the flour, herbs and water and set aside once well combined for 15 minutes to rest.
- Add oil to pan and saute the onion for 5 minutes then add the garlic for 2 minutes.
- Toss in the spinach and cook till wilted, season with black pepper and nutmeg.
- Remove filling from pan and set aside, add a little oil to the pan and ladle in the pancake batter, I use half a ladle and spread very thin, this way you will get 4 small thin pancakes.
- Cook your pancake till just golden underneith, about 1.5-2 mins, flip over and cook 1 minute.
- Add a spoonful of filling and fold over pancake.
- Remove from pan and keep warm while you cook the others.
- Serve with a simple tomato salad.