Spinach and feta are well known as Greek ingredients, but chickpeas are often used in cooking there too. These spinach and feta chickpea pancakes use chickpea flour (gram flour) instead of the usual plain stuff so are lighter and super healthy.
Chickpea flour (gram flour) is far healthier than our usual wheat based flours and is perfect for those looking for a gluten free alternative. It has a nice nutty flavour. Gram flour is used to make the famous ultra thin crepes so popular in the South of France particularly in Provence called Socca.
Of course I’m adding a Greek spin to mine by throwing in some of my favourite ingredients; spinach, feta, nutmeg, basil, chives, onion and garlic.
It’s quick and easy
Like all my favourite recipes this is quick and easy to prepare and is really just a case of whisking up your flour, herbs and water and setting aside for 15 minutes to settle while you saute the onions, garlic and spinach.
Then all you do is fry the pancakes for 2 minutes, flip and fill.
Come on, how easy is that?
Spinach And Feta Chickpea Pancakes
- 100 g/3 1/2 oz chickpea flour gram flour
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tsp chopped fresh basil
- 150 ml/5 fl oz cold water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced small
- 1 clove garlic minced
- nutmeg and black pepper to taste
- 150 g/5 oz chopped spinach
- 25 g/1 oz crumbled feta cheese
- a little olive oil for frying
- Whisk together the flour, herbs and water and set aside once well combined for 15 minutes to rest.
- Add oil to pan and saute the onion for 5 minutes then add the garlic for 2 minutes.
- Toss in the spinach and cook till wilted, season with black pepper and nutmeg.
- Remove filling from pan and set aside, add a little oil to the pan and ladle in the pancake batter, I use half a ladle and spread very thin, this way you will get 4 small thin pancakes.
- Cook your pancake till just golden underneith, about 1.5-2 mins, flip over and cook 1 minute.
- Add a spoonful of filling and fold over pancake.
- Remove from pan and keep warm while you cook the others.
- Serve with a simple tomato salad.