Crepes are always my favourite when it comes to the great pancake debate. These blueberry and banana crepes are just as good as a dessert as they are at breakfast time. Quite honestly I could eat these anytime, and do!
Blueberry and Banana Crepes
Pancake Day tomorrow and I don’t know about you, but this used to be such a big deal when I was growing up. We would get into such a bate of excitement because Mum only ever made pancakes on Shrove Tuesday, they were a treat.
Nowadays I make pancakes and crepes all the time and these blueberry and banana crepes are one of my favourites.
Pancakes come in all shapes and sizes, from those mammoth stacks seen in diners on TV, to Scottish drop scones (so named because you drop the batter from a spoon onto the griddle to cook them), all manner of healthy gluten-free versions, savoury pancakes and of course those lovely thin and delicate crepes that the French are so famed for.
Every town in France has a crepery, every market and brocante has a van there selling crepes. They are whipped up in a matter of moments while you watch with amazement the speed and dexterity of the cook who swirls batter, flips and fills in one fluid movement. They serve them simply with sugar and lemon or nutella. They are a tradition in France, fast food with French style.
I’m going for French style crepes today. I love the lightness of a crepe and the fact that you can get more super tasty fillings in there.
Mine are blueberry and banana crepes with lots of squishy berry sauciness from the blueberries that pop in your mouth like a mini jam explosion and the creaminess of bananas that make the whole thing really feel like a good old-fashioned pudding.
Ring the changes
If you want these to be gluten-free then just use a good quality gluten-free flour like Dove’s Farm, otherwise I’m just using good old-fashioned plain flour here for my batter.
I use almond milk but feel free to use any type of milk you like – cow, goat, zebra (sorry being silly there!), soy, almond, hazelnut etc. As long as it is white and liquid it should do the trick. The choice my darlings is all yours.
If you don’t have any blueberries to hand the some frozen raspberries would be just fine, and if all else fails just use a tablespoon of really nice homemade jam instead.
Have a great Pancake Day.
If you are looking for other fun pancake recipes then check out these recipes too;
Finally if you do try this blueberry and banana crepes recipe then please do leave a comment/rating below. I love hearing from readers and respond to everyone. Don’t want to miss out on any Larder Love then follow me on Instagram and Facebook and sign up for my weekly newsletter too.
Blueberry And Banana Crepes
- 75 g/3oz plain flour gluten free if you prefer
- 225 ml/7fl oz almond milk or any other milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp coconut oil or butter for frying
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 tbsp blueberries
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or butter
- Sift the flour into a bowl.
- In a jug whisk together the milk and egg.
- Pour the milky mixture into the flour and whisk to form a smooth batter.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and cook the sliced banana and blueberries along with all spices till berries start to pop and release their juices.
- Set aside while you make the pancakes.
- In a small frying pan heat 1 tsp of coconut oil or butter and when hot ladle in half your batter.
- Cook on one side will little bubbles form on the surface and then flip over and cook on other side till golden (about 2 mins).
- Remove from pan and keep warm on a got plate covered with a tea towel.
- Cook the other crepe in the same way.
- Fill the crepes with the fruity filling and fold over.
PIN ME FOR LATER