These super simple spiced apple scones are autumn on a plate for me. filled with warming spices they are just crying out for a smoothing of butter and a plate by the fire…..
It feels like Autumn here, misty and a touch chilly with grey skies and drizzle.
I wanted to bake something cozy and comforting and since there is a huge pile of apples lurking in the kitchen I hit on the idea of apple scones with a bit of spice added for that comforting heat.
Eating apples (definitely not cooking apples as they are way too sharp) are the basis for these tasty scones. You’ll also need some spices; cinnamon, and I used ginger syrup for sweetener. If you aren’t using ginger in the syrup then add some ground ginger.
Plain (all purpose) flour and baking powder. I used Greek yogurt but buttermilk is just as good in fact probably better.
Butter and syrup, a pinch of salt and an egg.
How long will these scones keep?
Scones are not long lasting bakes. They are great on the day they are made (especially when warm) and fine next day.
Just don’t expect them to be great after than. Even on second day I like to warm mine in the oven first.
Can you freeze these scones?
Yes, they freeze very well. Just pop them in a freezer proof bag and they will be fine lurking in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Defrost thoroughly and warm the scones in the oven before serving.
What to serve with these spiced apple scones
I like to serve mine just with butter. While they are still warm from the Aga, bliss.
They are also good with cheese. Don’t you think apple and cheese is a great combo, I love it.
My Scottish Baking Book
I love scones and made so many when I was writing my Scottish cookbook Simply Scottish Cakes & Bakes. In there you’ll find all sorts of gorgeous scones from sweet to savoury. Including all the usual suspects listed below that I have covered on my blog plus tea scones, fruit scones and more.
I really feel these spiced apple scones are the taste of autumn for me. Apples are in abundance, spices are warming and scones just perfect at any time.
Make these comforting cakes to have with a cup of tea by the fire.
Looking for more super easy scone recipes? Then check these out before you go;
tattie scones (aka potato scones)
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Spiced Apple Scones
- 1 large egg
- 125 ml Greek yogurt or buttermilk
- 2 tbsp ginger syrup or golden syrup/corn syrup
- 450 g plain flour all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 100 g butter chopped
- 300 g apples eating apples
- Preheat oven to 220C425F/Gas 7 and line a large baking sheet
- Whisk the egg along with the yogurt and syrup in a jug and set aside.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- Add the chopped butter and rub in to form a bread crumb like mixture.
- Grate the apples (including the skin) and disscard cores. Add apple to the mixture and stir in. Now add a little of the eggy mix and make a dough. You won’t need all of the liquid here.
- Pat out the dough on to a floured surface about 2.5cm/1″ thick and use a cookie cutter to cut out rounds. You should get about 16 from this mixture.
- Place on oven tray and brush the tops with the left over eggy mix and then scatter over some Demerara sugar.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until golden and a little skewar comes out cleanly.
- Let cool on a wire rack and then enjoy with butter, jam and a cuppa!