Nobody likes a bland salad but why buy fancy bottled salad dressings when you could make this super simple herb salad dressing using all sorts of herbs from the garden or window box. Well, any herbs you fancy really, go on, get creative and enjoy the taste of a summer garden.
What’s to love about this dressing
- This simple herb salad dessing is just packed with flavour and will brighten up the plainest of salads.
- Seriously versatile. Change the herbs and you alter the flavour completely. Mix and match to your heart’s content – be creative!
- Quick and easy – make this simple herb dressing in a jar, no fuss, less clean up, result!
A simple herb salad dressing can be the making of any veggie combo, whether it is of the plain green variety or has all sorts of goodies already added for colour and taste.
My first publilshed cookbook So Easy Herbal was my ode to these little plants that make such an amazing difference to all our cooking. This simple herb dressing is from my book.
- The herbs – I’ve used a mixture of chives, basil, oregano and thyme. You can mix and match the herbs to suit yourself and what you have to hand.
- Oil – a good quality olive oil. I used extra virgin olive oil from Crete just because I love it and lived there for 3 years.
- Vinegar – I used red wine vinegar as I like the strength of it and feel that this mixture of herbs can take a powerful tasting vinegar. Feel free to use white wine vinegar or cider vinegar instead.
- Salt and pepper.
Can you use dried herbs?
Yes, if you don’t have any fresh herbs you can use dried herbs to make this salad dressing. I’d just be using quarter of a teaspoon of each. Remember, dried herbs have twice the strength of fresh herbs so be careful with your mix.
How to make this dressing
Chop all the herbs as finely as possible. You can do this with a sharp knife or an old fashioned herb chopper.
I wouldn’t recommend using a food processor to chop the herbs. You could end up with a pesto-type puree rather than chopped herbs.
Now take your trusty jam jar in which you make all your dressings because it is so easy to do it this way, and toss in the chopped herbs.
Add good olive oil and 1/3rd the amount of red wine vinegar. The amount depends on how much dressing you are making.
Add salt and black pepper to taste.
Put lid on jar and shake like mad. This is a good moment to pretend to be Tom Cruise in Cocktail – go for it!
Your simple herb salad dressing is now ready to pour over whatever greens and veggies you choose. I like it on a plain green mixed leaf salad.
How long will it last?
Remember your herb salad dressing will keep for up to a week in the fridge for a couple of days and is handy to have around, so make more than you need today.
Let those flavours shine through!
Looking for more delicious saucy ideas? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Simple Herb Salad Dressing
- clean jam jar
- 1 tsp basil chopped fresh
- 1 tsp oregano chopped fresh
- 1 tsp rosemary chopped fresh
- 1 tsp chives chopped fresh
- 30 ml red wine vinegar
- 90 ml olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Chop the herbs finely and add to the jam jar
- Pour in the oil and vinegar along with the seasoning and pop on the lid.
- Shake well and set aside in the fridge for 20 minutes to let the flavours develop.