Crackers made with wine. Yes my seedy wine crackers are the perfect nibble to have with your glass of vino of an evening. Add some nice cheese and you really are good to go.
Seedy Wine Crackers
Cheese and crackers are a quintessential part of any supper party or drinks party spread. They end a meal beautifully or soak up alcohol when guests roaming for nibbles at a cocktail party. They are even better when you are just curled up by the fire on a cold winter’s night with a glass in one hand and a plate of these tasty crackers with cheese in the other. My seedy wine crackers hit the spot perfectly and believe it or not this recipe dates back to Roman times.
Baked with wine
These seedy wine crackers aren’t just crackers to serve alongside wine, they actually contain red wine and lots of seeds of course. I like to nibble them instead of crisps with a glass of wine so therefore cut them as very small rounds about one inch in diameter.
What do you need to make these Seedy Wine Crackers?
All you need for this recipe is ground flax-seed and plain flour for the base, olive oil, red wine and milk for the liquid element, crushed black peppercorns and sea salt for seasoning and some extra sesame seeds or crushed nuts to press on top for that gorgeously crunchy element.
It really is just a case of throwing everything into a big bowl and stir it all together to make a dough, let it rest in fridge to firm up for half an hour then roll out, press on seeds or nuts (or both), cut out and bake. It’s as easy as that.
This is a recipe from my Naughty & Nice Edible Gifts For Christmas Ebook.
I’ve now just finished all my talks and demos for Christmas with the last SWI talk being last Wednesday on one of the wildest and wettest nights of the year. I’ve been working out just how much food I’ve made on stage in the past 6 weeks;
18 bottles of Medieval Wine
18 jars of Quick Preserved Lemons
18 bottles of Basil & Vanilla Oil
18 half kilo jars of Tipsy Toms
300 Sugar Free Mocha Treats
Now I’ve just got all my own little goodie bags and hampers to make up for friends and family for Christmas.
Seedy Wine Crackers
- 50 g/2 oz ground flaxseed
- 125 g/4 oz plain flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 60 ml/2 1/2 fl oz red wine
- 40 ml/ 1 1/2 fl oz milk
- 1 tsp crushed black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- sesame seeds or crushed nuts to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F and line a baking tray with parchment
- Stir together all ingredients till completely combined in a dough. Add more flour if too sticky.
- Wrap in cling film and set aside in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Roll out on floured surface to 2mm thick and scatter with seeds/nuts then give another roll to press them into the dough.
- Cut into small rounds approx 1" in diameter.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes till golden. They will crisp uop more as they cool on a wire rack.
PIN ME FOR LATER