Read on for my recipe for quick banana bread
Boy this is a fast cake to throw together and a real crowd pleaser in this house. Also a great way to use up those spotty bendy bananas that are lurking in the fruit bowl and about to start attracting fruit flies and putting off the humans.
I threw in a handful of crushed walnuts just to add a bit of crunch and because it was something else that was just itching to be used up.
I made this for Idgy’s sleep over the other night, but alas felt a huge compulsion to scoff rather a lot of it myself. Note to self; do more exercise!
You will need;
You are going to be using your store cupboard basics for this quick banana bread recipe. Just self raising flour, an egg, those all important over ripe bananas, some walnuts (optional, might as well use them up though), a dash of vanilla extract, sugar, butter and milk.
Quick Banana Bread
- 125 g/4oz butter
- 150 g/4 1/2oz caster super fine sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons crushed walnuts
- 1 egg
- 2 over ripe bananas
- 190 g/7oz self raising flour cake flour
- 60 ml/1/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 170C/350F/Gas3 Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin
- Melt the butter, sugar and vanilla over a low heat. Once it has all melted together remove from the heat and pour into a big mixing bowl along with the mashed up banana.
- Crack in a cup and beat before adding to the banana mixture.
- I like to add a little beaten egg, then some of the flour, then some milk, then egg again etc, until I have used all the ingredients up. Toss in the walnuts and stir in.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 35 minutes or until risen and golden and a little skewar comes out clean.
- Let it cool on a wire rack and serve with a good cup of tea.
PIN ME FOR LATER