These chocolate banana brownies are rich and squidy with the sweetness of bananas and the almost caramel flavour of dark brown sugar. Add that deep dark chocolate and you are on to a winner in the brownie department.
What’s to love about this recipe
- These banana brownies are so super easy to make and quick too
- This is one of those great store cupboard recipes with nothing fancy in there at all
- Make it all in one pot and a baking tin!
I’m always looking for ways to use up those slightly aged bananas that lurk in the fruit bowl by the end of the week. They have lost their youthful appeal for snacking on, but you know they are full of rich sweetness inside, just perfect for baking. Time to make banana brownies I think! Everybody loves brownies and adding in the banana just makes them moister and even better.
Ingredients for these brownies
- 1 banana as brown and spotty as possible, avoid anything plain yellow or worse still remotely green!
- Chocolate – I’ve used 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate but feel free to use any chocolate you like in these brownies. Remember you get more flavour from dark chocolate though.
- Sugar – I’ve used dark brown sugar for my banana brownie recipe, this is so you get that rich caramel-like flavour. You can use normal white caster sugar if that’s all you have to hand though.
- One egg – free-range please!
- Self-raising flour
- Vanilla extract
How to make banana brownies
You are just going to make all this gorgeous gooey brownie mixture in one pan, how easy is that!
Simply melt the butter in a pan and add in the chocolate, vanilla extract and sugar and warm till that sugar dissolves and it all turns into a gorgeous brown creamy mess.
Now whisk the egg along with the mashed banana and add that into the pan along with the flour and just stir it all together to make the perfect brownie batter.
Pour your batter into a brownie tin and bake for between 30-35 minutes.
How do you know when brownies are baked?
Brownies are a little different from cakes when they are ready. To test if a cake is perfectly baked I stick a cocktail stick/toothpick into the centre. If it comes out clean with no batter stuck to it the cake is done.
Now for brownies you want that all-important slightly gooey, chewy centre. This means that when you put a cocktail stick into the centre of the brownies you want it to come out brown not clean.
You don’t want the stick to come out with clumps of batter attached but a bit of brown chocolate on there is just right. This means that the brownies are still gooey in the middle, perfect!
You can serve your banana chocolate brownies just as they are without any frosting. But I like to add a few more calories, well why not? So I have gone all-out on the Elvis front and made a peanut butter frosting for my brownies. Afterall good old Elvis was well known for his love of banana and peanut butter sandwiches.
I have made a simple frosting for these brownies using peanut butter, cream cheese and icing sugar all whipped together and slathered on top of my gorgeously gooey banana chocolate brownies.
How many does this make?
I got 9 brownie squares from this little recipe and I was using an old 7″ brownie tin.
Your banana brownies are super moist so will keep in an airtight tin for up to 3 days. You can easily freeze these brownies before adding any frosting and they will keep quite happily for up to 3 months.
Looking for more super tasty brownie recipes to try? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Banana Chocolate Brownies
- 7" brownie tin
- 85 g butter
- 90 g brown sugar
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 1 banana very ripe and mashed
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 50 g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F or gas 4 and line a 7" brownie tin with baking paper
- In a saucepan stir the butter, chocolate, sugar and vanilla extract over a low heat until melted. Remove from heat.
- Sift flour into the pan and add the beaten egg and mashed banana. Stir everything well to create the brownie batter
- Pour your batter into the prepared baking tin and bake for approx 30 minutes
- Cool on a wire rack
- Beat together all ingredients and spread the frosting over the cooled brownies before cutting them into squares