Food and friendship, the two go hand in hand. This was the cake I made on Wednesday for my lovely friend Louise when she came to visit. The cake went down a treat. It would have gone donwn even better if we had been allowed to guzzle the lot. But alas when we went out to the garden the horrible polecat (aka Finzean) climbed on the table and pinched the rest.
Have you ever seen a polecat carrying half a sponge cake?
Read on for how to make your own lemon and ginger drizzle cake.
Lemon & Ginger Drizzle Cake
- 125 g/4oz unsalted butter
- 175 g/6oz caster superfine sugar
- 2 eggs
- 175 g/6oz self raising cake flour
- 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon preserved ginger chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger syrup from the preserves jar
- 50 g/2oz granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4 Grease and line a 9" cake tin
- Cream the butter and sugar until they are light and fluffy.
- Break the eggs into a jug and whisk. Now add some to the sugar and butter and beat in, add some of the flour and stir, do this till you finish all the flour and eggs.
- Grate the zest off one lemon and add this, also add one teaspoon of the ginger syruup and the finely chopped preserved ginger. Squeeze the juice from the lemon and add this as well. Now stir to combine and pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until risen and golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the cake in the tin to cool.
- Zest the second lemon and put the zest in a little dish along with half of the granulated sugar.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon and put this along with the remaining granulated sugar and the other teaspoon of ginger syrup into a small pan and heat slowly to dissolve sugar, raise temperature and then simmer for 5 minutes until you get a lemony syrup.
- Now take a small skewer or toothpick and prick the cake surface all over. Spoon on the syrup so it will get into those little holes and then sprinkle the mixed zest and sugar on top.