These super simple and easy to make pickled tomatoes are a great way of savouring the gorgeous taste of summer for longer. They are also a great way to use up a bumper crop of cherry tomatoes if you are lucky enough to grow them.
Pickled Cherry Tomatoes
I adore tomatoes, I love their smell straight from the vine, almost a nettle like scent, a bit sharp, something once encountered never forgotten.
It takes me back to Musselburgh and my Dad growing tomato plants every year in the back porch. There was a forest of plants and strict instructions on their care.
I used to be in charge of pinching out those pesky sprouts and harvesting the bounty. Oh the smell, the smell of those tomatoes in the sun, that nettly aroma on the instant of picking.
I love tomatoes raw with just a sprinkling of salt and pepper, I love them tossed in salads (especially a Greek salad), I love them cooked into everything from pasta sauces to tomato soup. Now I make pickled tomatoes to save the take for later.
Ingredients for pickled cherry tomatoes
- cherry tomatoes
- coriander seeds
- salt and sugar
- white wine vinegar
How to make pickled tomatoes
Wash and dry the tomatoes and prick them all over with a needle or skewer to allow the pickling liquid to penetrate the skins.
Pack them into a sterilised jar.
Heat all other ingredients in a pan and simmer for about 10 minutes then pour the pickling brine over the tomatoes.
Set aside for 1 week for them to mature.
How long will pickled tomatoes keep?
They will keep unopened for up to a year. Once opened store in the fridge and use within a month.
How to serve pickled cherry tomatoes
Serve these as part of an antipasti platter. Use them on a cheeseboard too.
Pickled tomatoes are a great addition to a traditional Ploughman’s Lunch.
They go really well on a toasted cheese sandwich.
Try tossing them onto a salad too.
Looking for more super easy pickling recipes? Then check these out before you go;
PIN ME FOR LATER
Finally, if you do try this easy pickled cherry tomatoes recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below. I love hearing from readers and respond to everyone as soon as I can. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest and sign up for my newsletter too.
Pickled Cherry Tomatoes
- 150 g/5oz baby tomatoes in all colours but not over ripe
- 1 clove garlic thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 6 black peppercorns
- 6 coriander seeds
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 200 ml/7 floz white wine vinegar
- Sterilise your jar (I used a 350ml sized jar) by washing in hot soapy water and drying in oven for 30 mins or by putting through a hot wash in dishwasher.
- Wash and pat dry tomatoes and prick all over with a skewer or fondue fork (this is to let the pickling liquid get right inside them faster)
- Pack tomatoes and sliced garlic into your jar.
- Place all other ingredients in a non-reactive pan (stainless steel/enamel etc but not copper) and bring almost to the boil.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes then remove from heat.
- Pour pickling liquid over the tomatoes and pop on the lid.
- Store for 1 week before using to allow the flavours to mature.