Delicate and fragrant these homemade lavender cookies are the perfect tea time treat at any time of year.
Lovely lavender is everywhere just now.
I love the look of it, the scent of it, and the taste too (though in moderation as it can be pretty strong), I guess I just love lavender.
I first started growing lavender when I ran my Dream Acres herb business and now this wonderful herb is all over my garden.
Cookies or biscuits
This is a really simple recipe for lavender cookies, and yes I know, this is Britain and it should be biscuits.
But somehow I just think the word cookies fits better with lavender so I’m going with that.
It’s one I tend to trot out if anyone is popping in for coffee, so quick and easy to have the house full of yummy baking smells and a plate of still-warm cookies on the table.
I use dried lavender to make my lavender cookies.
However, you can make them using my homemade lavender infused sugar recipe.
Ingredients for lavender biscuits/cookies
Butter, caster sugar (super fine sugar), plain/all purpose flour, baking powder and dried lavender.
How to make lavender cookies
This is a totally simple butter cookie recipe. Very quick to make and they will bake in 15 minutes.
How long will these keep
Your lavender cookies will keep for about 3-4 days in an airtight tin. You can freeze them well wrapped for up to 3 months. The cookie dough itself can also be frozen for up to a month.
How to serve lavender cookies
With the perfect cup of tea of course.
They are also perfect as ice=cream sandwiches and on the side with almost any dessert.
Looking for more super simple cookie ideas? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
- 225 g unsalted butter softened
- 175 g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 250 g plain all purpose flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp dried lavender crushed
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5
- have 2 or 3 flat baking trays ready covered with baking paper.
- Chop the softened butter and whip in a bowl with the sugar till light and fluffy.
- Beat the egg in a cup and add half to the butter mix and stir, then add half of the flour and baking powder, stir and then add the rest of the egg and the remaining flour etc. Add the lavender flowers last.
- Place teaspoonfuls of the batter on to your prepared baking sheets and space well apart as they spread a lot.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden and just a teeny bit crisp round the edges.
- Cool on wire rack and if you are like me you’ll eat more than your fair share before any guests arrive.