The perfect light breakfast of eggs on toast but with a difference, these souffle eggs have a cloud of egg white surrounding a creamy golden yolk. The perfect way to serve your eggs in the morning.
Why you’ll love this breakfast eggs recipe
- This is such a tasty and different way to serve simple eggs on toast
- Quick and easy, just what you want in the morning
- These delightful souffle eggs on toast are just a bit special and perfect for brunch with friends
Eggs are the perfect start to the day. In fact, there used to be a government slogan in the UK many years ago saying ‘Go to work on an egg’.
They are healthy, packed with vitamins, minerals and lots of protein.
Eggs fill you up and keep you going.
They are the easiest ingredient to work with, so versatile to can turn them into anything from a simple boiled egg to a frittata, omelettes and so much more.
Ingredients for souffle eggs on toast
There are only realy 3 ingredients for these souffle/puffy eggs on toast, the grated cheese is optional.
Basically it is just eggs (use freerange eggs if you can), bread to toast and butter.
How to tell if an egg is fresh
Fill a large glass with water and genntly lower the egg into the water. If it sinks to the bottom it’s fresh. If it floats about in the middle it is still ok but on its way out. But if it bobs up to the surface chuck that egg in the bin fast, it’s gone off.
How to make souffle eggs on toast
Separate the eggs and whisk egg white till light and fluffy and able to hold it’s shape.
Toast the bread lightly. Don’t overdo it as you will be popping it into the oven so you don’t want to start out with it too brown.
Butter the toast and carefully spread a later of the egg white over the toast right to the edges, make a little dent in the centre and place the egg yolk there.
Now spoon the remaining egg white over the egg yolk making sure it is completely covered.
Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle on some cheddar cheese if you fancy.
Bake in the oven for just 10 minutes till the egg whites are golden.
Once you have added this little gem to your kitchen reportoire I guarantee it will fast become a family favourite. It’s great for breakfast (a weekend treat), brunch, lunch or a light supper dish.
Looking for more super tasty egg dishes to try? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Souffle Eggs On Toast/Eggy Puff Toast
- 1 egg large and freerange
- 1 slice bread large sized slice not from a mini loaf
- tsp butter
- 1 tbsp cheddar cheese optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas7 and have a baking tray ready
- Separate the egg and set aside the yolk for the time being
- In a clean dry bowl (any moisture/grease will inhibit the fluffing process) whisk the egg white until it stands in peeks on its own, takes about 5 minutes by hand
- Toast your slice of bread but don’t make it too brown because it will be going into the oven
- Lightly butter one side of the toast and spoon on a layer of the fluffy egg white keeping within the edges of the slice and make a slight dent in the centre of the fluff and drop in your egg yolk
- Make a slight dent in the centre of the fluff and drop in your egg yolk. Now cover over with the rest of the fluffy egg white making sure that the egg yolk is sealed into the middle of it and can't leak out anywhere
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle on your grated cheddar cheese
- Pop on the baking tray and into the oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden on top, leave for 12 minutes if you want a harder yolk
- Remove from oven and serve right away.