My daughter Idgy is a meat freak, she loves steak, pork, lamb and all those hearty dishes that incorporate them. I’m now tending towards lighter meat meals in that a slab of meat doesn’t really do it for me as it used to. I prefer little strips of meat mixed with veggies in the form of this beef and walnut stir fry. I get the taste of the meat but not that ploughing through feeling I get when faced with a full steak on my plate.
This beef and walnut stir fry is even lighter than a normal stir fry as I’ve used cauliflower and broccoli ‘rice’ instead of grains. Now this was a first for Idgy. She loves broccoli as a side dish and cauliflower but usually when armed with a cheese sauce, here I was going to passing it off as the carb part of a meal. What would happen, would it be left on the plate, grudgingly nibbled, or wolfed down with gusto?
I needn’t have worried, the meal was an unqualified success, she loved it, and so did I. I love it when you can take something that although good to start with can be made even better and healthier without having that whole ‘you’ve got to cut out this, that and the next thing and by the way it’ll taste crap’ issue.
What I’ve used;
Here I used two thin ‘minute’ steaks, a red bell pepper, 4 spring onions, 2 tbsp toasted walnuts and half a cup of basil leaves for the basic dish.
The flavourings are simply 2 tsp of tamari (or soy) sauce and 2 tsp of good honey.
Now the grainless rice is just so easy, you need four florets of cauliflower and about six of broccoli, two tsp of coconut oil from frying plus the zest and juice of half a lemon to fire it all up.
Quick and easy!
This dish is so quick and easy to make and it falls into the comfort food category too, throw in the healthy ingredients and I just have to say that this is a win, win situation. Go on folks, try this for a midweek dinner when time is short and hunger high, I just know it will become a firm favourite.
Beef And Walnut Stir fry with Veggie 'Rice'
- 1 tbsp coconut oil for frying
- 1 red bell pepper sliced in strips
- 2 thin 'minute' steaks cut in strips
- 2 tsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 3 spring onions chopped
- 3 tbsp toasted walnuts broken up
- 1/2 cup basil leaves torn
- 2 tsp coconut oil fro frying
- 4 cauliflower florets
- 6 broccoli florets
- zest and juice half a lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat half the oil in a wok till hot.
- Add the pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes, remove from wok.
- Add remaining oil and fry the beef for 3 minutes then add the peppers again, spring onions and walnuts plus the tamari sauce and honey.
- Stir well and cook for 1 minute.
- Toss in the basil leaves just before serving and season to taste.
- Whizz the cauliflower and broccoli in food processor till it becomes crumb like.
- Heat the coconut oil and fry the veggies for 5 minutes stirring well.
- Season and add lemon zest and juice just before plating up with the meat.