This quick and easy beef and walnut stir fry is super healthy when served with mixed broccoli and cauliflower rice. It’s high on flavour and low on carbs and just the perfect midweek meal.
Beef and walnut stir fry with veggie rice
My daughter Idgy is a meat freak, she loves steak, pork, lamb and all those hearty dishes that incorporate them. I’m now tending towards lighter meat meals in that a slab of meat doesn’t really do it for me as it used to.
I prefer little strips of meat mixed with veggies in the form of this beef and walnut stir fry. I get the taste of the meat but not that ploughing through feeling I get when faced with a full steak on my plate.
This beef and walnut stir fry is even lighter than a normal stir fry as I’ve used cauliflower and broccoli ‘rice’ instead of grains.
Now, this was a first for Idgy. She loves broccoli as a side dish and cauliflower but usually when armed with a cheese sauce, here I was going to pass it off as the carb part of a meal. What would happen, would it be left on the plate, grudgingly nibbled, or wolfed down with gusto?
I needn’t have worried, the meal was an unqualified success, she loved it, and so did I.
Ingredients for this beef and walnut stir fry
Here I used two thin ‘minute’ steaks, a red bell pepper, 4 spring onions, 2 tbsp toasted walnuts and half a cup of basil leaves for the basic dish.
The flavourings are simply 2 tsp of tamari (or soy) sauce and 2 tsp of good honey.
Now the grainless rice is just so easy, you need four florets of cauliflower and about six of broccoli, two tsp of coconut oil from frying plus the zest and juice of half a lemon to fire it all up.
How to make this
This is simply a case of heating a wok and stir-frying the peppers first then removing from the wok while you fry the steak strips.
Now toss the peppers back into the wok, add soy sauce (or tamari if using), spring onions, walnuts and honey. Stir-fry for just a minute more.
For the veggie rice
Simply blitz the veg in food processor and then fry it off in some coconut oil and that’s it.
Real fast food!
This beef and walnut stir fry dish is so quick and easy to make and it falls into the comfort food category too, throw in the healthy ingredients and I just have to say that this is a win, win situation.
Go on folks, try this for a midweek dinner when time is short and hunger high, I just know it will become a firm favourite.
Looking for more super quick and easy midweek meals? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Beef And Walnut Stir fry with Veggie ‘Rice’
- 1 tbsp coconut oil for frying
- 1 red pepper cut into strips
- 2 thin steak thin 'minute/sandwich' steaks cut into strips
- 2 tsp Soy sauce or Tamari sauce
- 2 tsp honey
- 3 spring onions chopped
- 3 tbsp walnuts toasted walnuts broken
- 1/2 cup fresh basil torn
- 2 tsp coconut for frying
- 4 cauliflower florets
- 6 broccoli florets
- 1/2 lemon zest and juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat half the oil in a wok till hot.
- Add the pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes, remove from wok.
- Add remaining oil and fry the beef for 3 minutes then add the peppers again, spring onions and walnuts plus the soy/tamari sauce and honey.
- Stir well and cook for 1 minute.
- Toss in the basil leaves just before serving and season to taste.
- Whizz the cauliflower and broccoli in food processor till it becomes crumb like.
- Heat the coconut oil and fry the veggies for 5 minutes stirring well.
- Season and add lemon zest and juice just before plating up with the meat.