Deliciously moist and packed with the wonderful flavours of earthy walnuts and fresh sweet strawberries, this strawberry and walnut cake is the perfect treat for summer.
Why you’ll love this cake
- This strawberry and walnut cake is super easy to make I promise
- It’s the perfect summer dessert and smart enough for any party
- The taste, this strawberry and walnut cake is so moist and just packed with flavour
This strawberry and walnut cake is summer on a plate for me. I’ve made this so many times and it’s a real family favourite and one I like to serve both as a tea time treat and as a dessert for a supper party too.
I love using strawberries in summer and have lots of great recipes for them. You’ll find some great inspiration on my top ten strawberry recipes post.
For the cake base you will need walnuts. Using walnuts in a cake batter helps to keep the cake wonderfully moist and of course those walnuts add their own flavour and a wee bit of crunch too.
The usual suspects for a cake batter – flour, eggs and sugar.
For the filling and topping
This is where the strawberries come into play for your strawberry and walnut cake. Lots of lovely fresh strawberries to put both inside the cake filling and all over the top of the cake.
Strawberry jam (I used my strawberry and elderflower jam) , cream cheese and icing sugar.
More walnuts, this time I have candied them as a topping for my strawberry and walnut cake.
The first thing to do when you are making this strawberry and walnut cake is to really whisk up those eggs with the sugar till the mixture is about 3 times the original size. This means there is lots of air in the mixture which will really help to make your walnut and strawberry cake lovely and light.
Now sift in the flour and fold this in with the crushed walnuts. Go carefully here don’t beat the cake batter, just gently fold in these ingredients so you don’t knock out all the air you already whisked in.
Bake the cakes and then when cooled slather in your cream cheese frosting and a topping of strawberry jam.
Sandwich the other cake on top and then cover the whole thing in the frosting.
How to make candied walnuts
Candy the walnuts just by dry roasting them in a pan for barely a minute till they get a little golden and release their lovely nutty aroma.
Now add some sugar and stir the walnuts with the sugar which will melt and stick to the toasted walnuts. Tip them out onto baking paper immediately to stop them cooking. Voila, candied walnuts!
Finally, top the cake with lots of fresh juicy strawberries and those deliciously crunchy candied walnuts.
How many does this cake serve?
You will get 8 slices of strawberry and walnut cake from this recipe.
Your walnut and strawberry cake will keep for up to 3 days as the walnuts help to keep the cake lovely and moist. You can freeze the walnut cake bases before decorating and store for up to 3 months.
Simply serve this strawberry and walnut cake as it is. It needs no additions to make it the perfect tea time treat.
Want to jazz it up for a fancy dessert? Then serve with some really good quality vanilla ice cream on the side.
Looking for more delicious summer cakes to bake? Then check out these recipes before you go;
Check out my extensive Home Baking section for even more beautiful baking ideas.
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Strawberry and walnut cake
- 100 g caster sugar superfine sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 75 g self-raising flour
- 50 g walnuts crushed
Filling and topping
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam
- 200 g icing sugar
- 150 g cream cheese
- 250 g strawberries
- 25 g walnuts halves
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C and line 2 x 15cm/6" round baking tins
- Whisk the eggs and sugar till 3 times their original size
- Sift in the flour and fold in the crushed walnuts carefully so as not to knock out the air
- Spoon into lined baking tins and bake for 30 minutes till golden and a skewer comes out clean
- Allow cake to cool completely
Filling and topping
- Beat together the icing sugar and cream cheese to make a frosting and spread some on the cake base then top with the strawberry jam and some of the strawberries cut into slices
- Add the other cake on top and cover with the remaining cream cheese frosting
- Toast the walnuts in a dry pan for barely a minute and add the sugar stirring to stick to the walnuts and turn them into candied walnuts, tip out of pan immediately to stop them cooking
- Once walnuts cooled top the cake with the remaining strawberries and the candied walnuts