I love lemon curd. That tang and sweetness on toast in the morning is just the perfect wake up call.
It is one of those things that is insanely easy to make but you always forget to do it. I find it best to make curds in small batches as they don’t keep long and really have to be eaten within a month or so. This recipe is for my lemon and ginger curd and makes 2 decent sized jars.
The ginger adds a touch of warmth and a bit of a kick to the sharpness of the lemon, mmmmm yumm!
Here’s the lemon and ginger curd added to plain yogurt as a dessert.
Fantastic stuff, must make more…..
Lemon & Ginger Curd
- 4 large lemons unwaxed or wash thoroughly first
- 225 g caster sugar
- 115 g unsalted butter4
- 1 lump of stem ginger and a teaspoon of the syrup from a jar
- 4 medium eggs
- Zest the lemons and squeeze out the juice. Put this into a bowl that sits on top of a pot of simmering water. Add the sugar, ginger (finely chopped) and ginger syrup and butter (also chopped). Stir to mix thoroughly and let everything melt together.Z
- Take the pot and bowl combo off the heat once it has got to this stage. Whisk the eggs in a jug and pour this gently into the lemony mixture. Put it back on the heat and keep stirring (I used my whisk here) to thicken it. Mine took ten minutes.
- Pour into a couple of sterilised jars, seal and store someplace where you won't forget about it.