I love using herbs around the home and lavender is one of my favourites. Homemade infused Lavender oil has to be the most versatile oils you can have around the home. If you make it a lightly infused oil using good quality food grade lavender then you can use it in a multitude of ways from salad dressing to bathing, skin care to marinades.
How to make homemade lavender oil
Use 1 cup of fresh lavender (or half a cup dried, always half your measure of any herb when using dried as the essential oils are more concentrated after the drying process) to 2 cups of light non flavoured oil. I used a light olive oil. Steer clear of any of the extra virgin stuff as it has way too strong a flavour and aroma for this job.
Heat the oil and lavender in a pan for 20 minutes at a simmer and then remove from heat. Cover the pan and leave it overnight.
Strain off the oil next morning into a bottle.
Use lavender oil for body and bath
- Use a tablespoon of this oil in your bath water for a relaxing soak before bed time to help you sleep.
- Use as a skin food with cotton pad on cleansed face, it will help moisturise dry flaky skin.
- Massage the oil all over as a body balm after a bath.
- Massage into damp hair and wrap in towel for 30 minutes prior to washing for a deep conditioning shine.
- Mix with a handful of rough salt for an invigorating body scrub.
Using lavender oil for cooking
- Use as a delicate dressing on a simple green salad with a dash of lemon juice.
- Brush over chicken breasts before roasting or grilling.
- Use as a marinade for fish.
Use lavender oil for cleaning
Mix with lemon juice and use on a soft cloth to polish wood surfaces and make them shine and smell wonderful.
Use lavender oil to relax
Place a tablespoon of your lavender oil in the bowl of an oil burner and enjoy the relaxing aroma.
Chill out and enjoy lavender to the max.