Mixed Baked Beans
Homemade mixed baked beans with peppers, spices, herbs and tomatoes.
- 1/2 cup assorted dried beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 sundried tomatoes in oil drained and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 red pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper finely chopped
- 1 x 400g tinned tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp agave nectar or honey
- Fresh basil and coriander to serve
Soak the mixed beans overnight then drain, rinse and cover with water.
Bring to a boil then simmer for 1 hour till tender, drain agian.
Heat the onions in the oil for approx 4 minutes then add the garlic for 2 minutes.
stir in the chopped sundried tomatoes, red and yellow peppers, cumin and oregano and cook for another 10 minutes before adding the tinned tomatoes, sweetener of choice and seasoning to taste.
Cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the cooked beans and stir well.
Simmer for a further twn minutes before adding some fresh basil and coriander to serve.