My girl is due home today. Yes, yes today and not yesterday. I was told they were coming back on Tuesday, yesterday was Tuesday. Mr X had ommited to tell me that they were leaving New York on Tuesday and would be here in UK on Wednesday.
Guess who was up at the crack of dawn yesterday and drove to the airport, waited for an hour with big smile at the ready, while the entire New York flight disembarked, including the crew. The arrivals hall emptied and I asked the guard if there was anyone else still to come through. Nobody left, so I shuffled off to phone Mr X. ‘Where the h*”ll are you?” I enquired in a calm and sweet voice (!), “In New York” came the sleepy reply. Hmmmmm got the days mixed up. At least I had the small satisfaction of having woken him up, since my morning had been rotted up completely.
Drove home smarting at the early start/petrol/time wasted and parking fees and after I had calmed down a bit I decided to get creative in the kitchen and make something for Idgy coming home. She is a huge Nuttella fan so I decided to make something similar of my own, but with an added sweet ingredient – banana!
So here is my simple wee recipe for Chocolate Walnut and Banana Spread – aka Chocanutanana! Not quite sure the name will catch on but it tastes fabulous.
Chocolate, Walnut And Banana Spread
- 50 g/2oz plain dark chocolate 70%
- 50 g/2oz milk chocolate
- 50 g/2oz walnuts shelled
- 1 ripe banana
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Break up the chocolate and melt in either a double boiler or non metalic bowl over bubbling water, making sure base does not touch water, or use the microwave.
- In a food processor whizz up the nuts till they are like breadcrumbs.
- Break up the banana and add to the nuts, whizz till you have a smooth paste.
- Let the melted chocolate cool for a couple of minutes and them pour into the food processor and add the salt and vanilla extract.
- Whizz till completely mixed into a smooth paste.
- Scoop out into a small jar.
- Store in the fridge and use within 5 days
Use this on toast, pancakes, muffins etc, or as a nice topping on cupcakes or spread on banana bread or walnut bread.
Okay I am off now to the airport to bring my girl home…..