Hi guys, yesterday l did a bit of baking. Sewing those cup cakes put me in mind for making some real ones. Now l wasn’t really in a sweety type mood, also l was going to be going up the road (Colette’s) for dinner and there would be yummy wine etc so l thought l would try making some savoury cup cakes to go well with a glass of red.
First step was to gather some herbs from the garden. I used rosemary, thyme and sage. Now here is what you need to give this a go and a bit of ‘how to’ as well.
I took some up to Colette’s last night and we had them after dinner while sitting round the table chatting and putting the world to rights over a bottle or two of red.
- 250 g/9oz plain flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- mixed herbs I used about 4 sprigs thyme 2 sage leaves and l sprig rosemary all finely chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 75 g/2 1/2oz melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 50 g/1 3/4oz parmasan cheese grated
- 150 g/5oz feta cheese crumbled
- cream cheese
- grated clove of garlic
- chopped rosemary
- Sieve flour and mix all dry ingredients (including the chopped herbs) in large bowl.Add the crumbled feta and grated parmasan and mix well. In separate bowl whisk the egg and add the milk and melted butter. Add this to your dry ingredients and stir in.
- Spoon into 12 cup cake holders and bake in moderate oven for about 20 minutes or until golden.
- Mix half a packet of plain cream cheese with a grated clove of garlic and spread on top of each cup cake. Drizzle with rosemary snippings. Et voila, savoury cup cakes, perfect with a glass of wine and good company.