- 125 g/4oz unsalted butter
- 125 g/4oz caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 125 g/4oz self raising flour
- 65 ml milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- grated zest of a lemon
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons Cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon curd
- Icing sugar
- Strawberries and blueberries to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 I used a 2lb loaf tin but you could just use a 23cm/9" round cake tin if you wanted a different shape. Grease and line the tin.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. In a separate bowl whisk the egg with the milk and vanilla extract.
- Sift the flour. Now add the liquid and the flour a little at a time (one dry then one liquid) to the buttery sugar, until everything is well combined. Add the lemon zest and stir in.
- Spoon mixture into baking tin and pop into the oven for approximately 40 minutes or until it springs back when gently prodded in the centre.
- Let it cool on a wire rack before removing from tin.
- Slice in half horizontally.
- Spread the strawberry jam over the base and then add sliced strawberries.
- Place the other half cake on top.
- In a large bowl start with the lemon curd and cream cheese and keep adding icing sugar and stirring it in until you get a good thick paste. Too runny and it will slide right off the cake, you want it to hold its shape but still have a bit of that drip for the sides.
- Spread this on top of cake and then add a row of sliced strawberries down the centre with blueberries down either side.
- Slice and enjoy.